Hot water problems

Old 12-19-13, 05:33 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Hot water problems

Water heater installed about 1 year ago in my daughters house. About 2 months ago, she noticed a spray coming from the top of the tank. Son in Law (SIL)said it was a pin hole leak, we fixed it temporary with a piece of heater hose and a clamp until the plumber came. Plumber removed the pipe and took it with him and returned in about an hour. Has been normal since then. Yesterday, no hot water in shower etc.. SIL said the breaker was popped, retried it again, popped in about 5 seconds. He said a funny noise was coming from the circulation pump. He unplugged it and the circuit breaker remains on. A garage sink next to the WH puts out HOT water. So I thought hot water would be available, it would just take longer to get to the shower etc??? The pic below shows the hot water on the left, pressure relief in the middle and the cold plumbing on the right. The odd colored pipe is just sitting there holding up the pipes and the pump (A professional Hack job) The black is the power cord unplugged to the circulator pump. I always thought the pump would push the HW thru the system, this appears to be pulling the return water back?? Need some suggestions, no plumber until monday.

Attached Images  
Old 12-19-13, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Sounds like the circ is shorting and tripping breaker,,,

You should still get hot water to shower..

What issue are you having other then the pump not working?

The pump should not be tripping the heater breaker.... You may need an electrician.... Heater is 240v pump is 120v... two separate circuits......

Last edited by lawrosa; 12-19-13 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-19-13, 06:29 PM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
Yesterday, no hot water in shower etc.. SIL said the breaker was popped, retried it again, popped in about 5 seconds. He said a funny noise was coming from the circulation pump. He unplugged it and the circuit breaker remains on.
The breaker that tripped, was it for the circulation pump or for the water heater? As long as the water heater is operable, like I believe it may be, you should still get hot water to all bathrooms if you let the hot water run long enough.

Old 12-19-13, 06:37 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Having the pump on the return is pretty normal. What is not common in my experience is using a 240 volt pump for a circulator. Are you sure the pump is on the same circuit as the heater? Is there a screw-in fuse adjacent to the receptacle for the pump?

So, do you not get any water flow from the shower or does it just not get hot? It might take several minutes depending on the length of the piping.

Old 12-20-13, 08:19 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Tx for the answers, Yes I understand the confusion. The pump is 120vac, heater 240vac. Still there was no hot water in the showers (after all family members endured cold showers) water flows just not even warm. I will have to go to the house and find out which breaker was tripping. Report this morning, said they plugged the pump back in again, breaker has not tripped as of yet, hot showers, short term happiness. OK on the pump being on the return, non WH/plumber myself, I just thought it odd. I will check on the fuse. Will post back on which breaker was tripping. You are right thou, pump shorting should have nothing to do with the 240vac feeding the heating elements. Stand by.

Old 12-20-13, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Additionally if that check valve after the pump is faulty that will give you the issues you are experiencing too. The cold water is running back up the recirc line and over taking the hot....

So your breaker issue may be unrelated......

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: