Burner Will Not Stay Lit

Old 12-30-13, 05:44 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Burner Will Not Stay Lit

I have a Whirlpool Craftmaster water heater that's just over six years old. I have gone through three thermocouples within the past year. I recently replaced it with a different brand about two weeks ago and it has worked fine ever since. I also ordered a new OEM gasket for the service door because mine was deteriorated to almost nothing. I installed the new gasket two days ago and ever since then I can't keep my water heater lit. It's easy to get the pilot light lit but when the burner ignites it only stays on for about 10-15 minutes and then it completely goes out. I am fairly handy(thanks to the internet) but I am at a loss. My next move is to buy a new gas valve but before I spend that money I wanted to get some opinions on the matter. Thanks!

Here is the info sticker and control valve setup: Flickr: tdelong08's Photostream

Old 12-30-13, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
How much is a gas valve? A new heater is about $350... I only install AO smith... but the GE you have seems to be cutting out from some FVIR technology..Those gas valves are rocket proof and rarely fail.

• Its either starving for air and an internal sensor is tripping..( Can you light it immeadiatly after or have to wait for it to cool down?)
  • Is the flame yellow and whispery before it shuts down?
  • Other cause of overtemp is a clogged vent. Birds nect..etc...
  • The air intake is clogged is the common cause.

Yes it could be the gas valve but at 7 yrs IDK.. Thats a borderline call on if to repair or replace since its out of warranty....

Old 12-30-13, 09:45 AM
Received 192 Upvotes on 172 Posts
I have a Whirlpool Craftmaster water heater that's just over six years old. I have gone through three thermocouples within the past year.
Replace it. You are extremely lucky to have gotten it to last 6 years. No sense wasting further dollars on junk.

Top 1,534 Complaints and Reviews about Whirlpool Water Heaters

Whirlpool doesn't make water heaters, Whirlpool sold the right to their name for use on water heaters to be sold at Lowes and manufactured by American Water Heater; Craftmaster is another of their names they market under. That being said, AO Smith acquired American Water Heater a few years ago and I would think would have solved their design problems, but I don't know for sure. Without doing some research on the matter, I wouldn't touch a unit from American Water Heater, life is too short for those kinds of frustrations and problems.

Old 12-30-13, 10:50 AM
T
I new gas valve is about $150 shipped. I am putting this house up for sale in the Spring and would like to get by on repairs without spending too much money. I can light it immediately after it goes out but the amount of time the burner stays lit is shorter than when I light it after it has had time to cool. I've watched the flame and it stays blue and constant the whole time. I guess my next step is to check the vent. Where exactly is the air intake? I've also noticed that it doesn't have a wraparound filter on the bottom. Is this necessary? Thanks for all the great info.

Old 12-30-13, 10:55 AM
T
The research I've done about these water heaters makes me feel lucky compared to the other problems people experience. There is nothing more frustrating than constantly waking up with no hot water. I am just too much of a tight wad to sink a bunch of money into a new water heater before selling if I don't absolutely have to. If my plan was to stay here for even 1 more year I would definitely replace it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: