not enough hot water.. (Post Moved Here)

Old 01-06-14, 09:02 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
not enough hot water.. (Post Moved Here)

Seems a unique twist on a common problem. While filling the tub on my 2nd floor I run out of really hot water at 2-3 inches of filling then the water becomes luke warm at best. If you turn the water off and wait a few "mississipi's" you get hot again for a short time (like seconds) then goes luke warm again.

Tub valve is a single handled Delta with ball, springs, and seats. I've already replaced the ball, springs, and seats. This helped some.

While troubleshooting, I have gone as far as turning off all cold water faucet stops and running only hot water in an attempt to eliminate coldwater mixing from a faucet. This too helped but doesnt seem to eliminate. Could it be the dip tube in the gas water heater? If so, why can I turn off turn back on get a short burst of hot?

Old 01-06-14, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Is this the only place with the problem? Do you have another tub that is fine? Does the problem tub also have a shower which works ok? Can you take a long shower with no issue?

Might also list the size and type of WH.

Old 01-06-14, 01:00 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,258 Upvotes on 2,011 Posts
If you have a similar problem with all the fixtures in your home it could be a broken dip tube in the water heater or a burned out element. If it's a broken dip tube turning off the hot water for a few seconds allows the hot water in the heater to rise to the top where it is picked up by the discharge line. After running a while the cold water flowing into the heater stirs up the tank so you get only warm water.

Old 01-06-14, 01:22 PM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
I am thinking this sounds like an electric water heater with a bad lower element. Is your water heater electric or gas?

Could it be the dip tube in the gas water heater?
I missed that the heater was gas the first time. I'd go with a diptube problem too.

Old 01-06-14, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Oops...I missed it was gas as well. Model and serial number might help isolate whether this was one of the bad ones from a few years back.

Old 01-10-14, 06:00 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sorry guys, I tried to reply yesterday and it looks like it didnt take.

I have a 40 gallon gas WH. Between sick family and being burried at work no time to find the model and serial numbers.

My girls have commented that the bath on our 3rd floor (finished attic, technically) is better than 2nd floor bath but not by much.

With a tank this small, we have always had to stagger baths and showers. 3rd floor is ball and claw tub with a hand held shower head. Has separate controls for hot and cold and only mix just befor the spigot. 2nd floor where the more noticable issue is a single handle ball and seat type that goes back the the 70's probably. The 2nd floor shower is similar but the hot and cold feeds are shut off due to pan leaking. It is in the same bathroom as the tub but was originally a closet, ie it stands separate from the tub.

All other fixtures are sinks and no more than they are on, there doesnt seem to be any issues with enough hot water even in the kitchen.

I did look at a couple videos over lunch and it does seem to be the dip tube. I will tackle this this weekend and go from there.

Oh, and the tank was installed in january 2002 right after my steam boiler bit the dust.

Thanks

Old 01-10-14, 07:32 PM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
I did look at a couple videos over lunch and it does seem to be the dip tube. I will tackle this this weekend and go from there.
I'm not sure you'll find a replacement diptube without ordering one, but I've never had to look for one before. Most diptubes that fail were damaged during installation from what I have read.

Old 01-11-14, 12:30 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
A tank type water heater will only supply about 70% of its ultimate capacity before the temperature drops significantly. That means for a 40 gallon tank you really have about 28 gallons of hot water. If the thermostat on the heater is set at the recommended 120-125 degrees F. for safety purposes you WILL run out of hot water fairly quickly.

I have seen dip tubes sold at Home Depot.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: