Increased size... Less hot water??

Old 01-09-14, 05:52 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Increased size... Less hot water??

My gas water heater that was put in the house in 1982 went out a few weeks ago, and because of the age I decided to replace rather than fix. The old unit was a 30 gallon tank and could fill a tub with HOT water till full and more. I put in a new 40 gallon unit over the weekend, and now can only fill just over half the tub and lose hot water.

The new unit recovers a little faster than the old one but seems to have less hot water when it holds 10 fewer gallons. I have checked other posts and since got a new & larger unit, turned the thermostats up, and the other normal suggestions, but am not able to find any fix. If anyone has any advice, ideas, or suggestions please let me know. I appreciate any help and just want to take a hot bath, lol.

Old 01-11-14, 02:54 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
What do you mean by "turned the thermostats up" ? Does the new tank have a dial on the bottom with A B C on it & an arrow for alignment? The B setting should be fine.

Old 01-11-14, 03:37 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Double check your cold in and hot out connections. I know, stupid suggestion.

Bud

Old 01-13-14, 05:33 PM
M
Nothing is too odd at this point. Checked and in the right spots.

Old 01-13-14, 05:38 PM
M
Yes I am referring to the temperature setting dial. I have tried all the settings from A-C and while it did have an effect on the high temp of the water it still remains hot for less time than the 30 gallon tank I had before. I have my morning routine times out perfectly and since putting in the new water heater my morning shower runs out of hot water before the old one did.

Old 01-13-14, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Probably a did tube issue... Set heater to normal temp.. Go to tub and fill 5 gallon bucket hot water only... Should get about 6 buckets or so...

Let us know... The other only thing is trouble with a mixing valve ( thermostatic) or recirc line check valve,,,,,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: