low water pressure upstairs after installing a hot water heater

Old 01-14-14, 03:46 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
low water pressure upstairs after installing a hot water heater

I installed a hot water heater and have very low water pressure upstairs. It acts just like the shut off valve was just shut off. It has good pressure for about 5 seconds then it goes to a trickle of water. I remove the shut off valve in the celler and turn the water on to see if the problem was at that point, It was good there. I even went so far as to hook up a garden hose to the water line upstairs and tried to go backflush it. The same thing happens going backwards, just a trickle of water at the shut off valve. Any ideas how to find the restriction in the line. All the lines are inside walls and not easy to access.

Old 01-14-14, 04:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Quite often when you disturb a water supply system like putting in a water heater, crud will eke its way in the pipes and lodge in your faucet strainers. Unscrew them, clean them, allow water to run a bit to clear the lines, then replace them. See if thar restores your pressure.

Old 01-14-14, 04:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Hi and welcome....

Is the pressure only low at the shower? Or is it all faucets?

Is it the hot and cold too?

May want to clean the aerators out and shower head if so... Otherwise it could be a loose washer in a valve somewhere....

Old 01-14-14, 05:26 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Old style gate or globe valves can fail to open because the shaft can snap off inside the valves when the gate sticks.
Replace with ball valves.

Old 01-14-14, 05:46 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,257 Upvotes on 2,010 Posts
How long the water takes to loose pressure can give a very rough idea where to look for a restriction. If it's in the faucet's aerator or valve cartridge the pressure and flow volume is low almost right from the beginning. The further the restriction is away from the fixture the longer it takes for the pressure to drop.

How old is your house? What type of piping do you have; galvanized steel, copper, PVC, PEX...?

Old 01-14-14, 03:25 PM
T
The house is OLD but the water pipes are copper from the 50's or 60's. It's not the aerator, already took that off. The problem is only with the hot, not the cold. The sink and shower both have about 5 seconds of pressure. The valve I unscrewed and took out was brass. I thought the valve was the problem until I back flushed the hot line and hardly any water came out.

Old 01-14-14, 06:34 PM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
Is this a new problem since the water heater installation or was it there with the old water heater? My thought is you have a chunk of calcium that has come out of the old water heater lodged in the pipe. I had a situation similar to yours a few years ago and eventually found the chuck lodged at the stop under the kitchen sink.

Otherwise it could be a loose washer in a valve somewhere
I have also seen this happen.

Old 01-15-14, 06:28 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,257 Upvotes on 2,010 Posts
I might have missed it but did you say if this was only happening with this one fixture or with others in the house as well?

Old 01-15-14, 02:59 PM
T
It all started when I installed the water heater. Downstairs is fine, it's only the shower and sink on the hot side that has the problem upstairs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: