Help me find a narrow large-capacity electric water heater

Old 01-22-14, 03:47 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help me find a narrow large-capacity electric water heater

My 40 gallon electric water heater is 10 years old and I think the bottom element is probably bad. I'd like to replace the water heater with a larger capacity one, hopefully in the 65 to 80 gallons range, but the problem is that the hallway closet will only fit one that's 18" (maybe 18.5") in tank diameter. While looking around online I can't find any tank larger than 40 gallons with a claimed 18" or smaller diameter. Can anyone point me in the right direction or tell me there is no hope? Thanks!
Old 01-22-14, 05:12 PM
lawrosa's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Galivants Ferry SC USA
Posts: 15,993
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Hello and welcome...

I recommend AO smith as a replace,emt... Iuse them and install them...

Unfortunately the best you are doing to get is a 40 gallon in the size you need...

See page 25 here.. ( 18")

The only other option would be a tankless electric... But you would need to run additional circuits to the unit and add breakers to your electric panel...

Here is an example....

Rheem Tankless Electric RTE 27 Series

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: