Do I need a New Hot water heater?

Old 01-25-14, 02:05 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Do I need a New Hot water heater?

I am a new member and I hope someone can help me. I have an Electric 40 gal heater. Got it new back in 2005 or 2006. Just recently I have been running out of hot water Really Quickly. I mean I can wash some dishes and my daughter can get half way though a shower and out of hot water. I have never flushed it, I never really knew to until just a couple of months ago. I was wondering if any of yall could tell me what I need to try or just replace it. And If replacing it how to drain it to get it out. Thank you for any help.

Allen

Old 01-26-14, 05:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I doubt you need a new tank unless you are experiencing leaking. Most likely what you have is a blown element or bad thermostat. Depending on how savvy you are, and willing to take it on, you can test and change both.

It will necessitate the turning off the power to the unit and draining it. That way you can test and remove the affected element without a flood. To drain it, turn the inlet water off, open a hot water spigot above the unit, say in an upstairs bathroom, connect a hose to the spigot on the tank and open the valve. Go watch a quarter of the game, 'cause it will take a while to drain. You should buy yourself an analog multimeter ($10) so you can test the continuity of the elements. If you don't get a resistance reading on one of the elements, you can remove them fairly easily and take it with you to secure a replacement. I'd replace both, 'cause they're the same age and will die shortly after the other one.

Let us know if you need more help once you get knee deep in this. We're here.

Old 01-26-14, 05:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
The other item that may have failed is the dip tube... This will cause your issues too...

To test go to a tub with a 5 gallon bucket... Fill bucket with hot water only... You should get 6 buckets before the water starts getting cooler... if you get less, say two or three, then I would say the dip tube...

They can be replaced, but you need to turn the main water off and dis assemble the cold inlet of the water heater. Remove old tube and install new....

Oh and welcome to the forums................

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: