New Electric WH

Old 02-15-14, 03:56 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Continuing saga .....

This last week , I gathered up parts , for my next round of " fun " with my new WH .

I bought a pair ( hot and cold ) of 3/4" heat trap nipples , with the little balls inside ( as opposed to the flappers ) . Those were purchased locally Sutherland's Lumber Company for about $ 10 + tax .

I ordered a new cold water plastic dip tube through Amazon.com . Can not remember the actual vendor / shipper . Best I remember , it was a little over $ 10 , including shipping .

Since almost all of my soldering parts and pieces ( including the propane torch ) are still under the house , I also bought a torch kit with a little solder , a little flux and a small flux brush . A little over $ 25.00 .

Short version , I cut both horizontal 3/4 copper pipes unscrewed the part still connected to the existing nipples . Unscrewed the CW nipple . Had to use a cheater pipe on the pipe wrench . :-(

Removed the existing CW dip tube . It was OK , I had not melted it while soldering , or the flapper valve in the nipple . I cut the new dip tube to the length of the old one & installed it .

Brushed on the threads of the new CW heat trap nipple and screwed it into the CW inlet of the WH . Screwed the 3/4" copper Female Adaptor w / ell and short nipple , on the other end of the CW heat trap nipple , after I had brushed the end of the nipple with RectorSeal® No. 5 , also .

Repeated this procedure on the HW side , except no dip tube on it .

On both the HW & CW side , where I had used a tubing cutter to cut the horizontal nipple , I uses a 3/4" copper " slip coupling " to solder all back together . The " slip coupling " / repair coupling has no " stop " in the inside / middle . It will slide completely from one end of t tube to the other . This is very helpful when you can not separate the 2 ends of a pipe enough to use the traditional coupling , that has a stop in the middle .

Well , I had a leak . Off to Sutherland's . I bought some more parts and pieces . One of which was a small container of tinning flux . Evidently , this flux contains powdered / ground up solder . Some one from one of the plumbing lists told me about it . It really helped , when heat is applied to the end of the pipe , it does a fair job of tinning the end of the pipe . Be sure to wipe it molten / tinned of the pipe , with a dry rag . I use holey socks for rags .

Well , by the grace of God , the last time I looked , no leaks ! :-)

I turned the power back on & we will see if the WH behaves more as I THINK it should , with both heat trap nipples and the dip tube new . I hope this improved its performance to the point where I can adjust the 2 tstats up a little . And the tstats still shut off .

Wish me good fortune .

God bless
Wyr

Old 02-24-14, 03:41 AM
W
During my WH install , I put two new 3/4" ball valves adjacent to the WH , one for HW & the other for CW . I can shut off either or both , very conveniently .

Last weekend , I had the CW valve on & the HW valve off . I slowly turned the HW valve on & I heard a rush of water . Went and looked , all the faucets were off . There should not have been any HW going anywhere ?

I burped any air out of the HW lines & then repeated the process . Same rush of HW . This leads me to believe there is a leak in the HW system , down stream of the WH ?

I shut the HW valve , being sure the tank was full of water & had no air in it . Left the CW valve open & turned on the power . Came back 30 - 60 minutes latter & the tstats had turned off . This is the first time they had worked properly , after all my adjustments and experimenting !

I adjusted them up to around 130 F . They both clicked , top one turned on that element . Came back latter & both had turned off . No amp reading on my Fluke .

Praise the Lord ! :-)

So , all week , we kept the CW valve on & the HW valve off . Except when we ran the dish washer or took bathes / showers . The WH seemed to work fine .

This weekend , I crawled back under the house . First , I verified the new HW lines I had run were not leaking . Solder joints seemed to be OK . That means , the HW lines buried in the dirt , had to be leaking .

I started cutting the HW lines to all the " devices " loose and installing new copper HW lines to those devices . Connected to my new HW lines , from the WH .

After 2 trips under the house , totaling 8 - 9 hours , the new HW lines were in place . I burped the air out of the system and checked with the HW valve , as before . Best I can tell , it is OK .

I need to do a visual inspection for leaks or other problems . Then insulate the rest of the HW system . I was going to do that yesterday . But this old fat man was too sore and stiff to get under the house . I spent all day trying to rest and recuperate .

So , for this week , we will continue to shut the HW off , except when it is needed . In case I do have any leaks in the new piping .

Watching the water meter , I still have a small leak , some where . It must be in the CW , some where ?

hat will be the next chore ?

God bless
Wyr

Old 02-24-14, 06:37 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Sounds like your finally making progress. Water leaks can be hard. I had one I never found. All the lines were visible under the house and I could see no leaks or puddles and I dug up the whole line from meter to where it came up at the house. Had to do the plan B solution also, replace everything.

Old 02-24-14, 07:05 AM
W
I am not sure where the water main , coming from the meter ties in to the CW piping , buried in the dirt , under the house ?

I am thinking , that may be where I need to begin my search for the water leak ? If it is the piping that branches off from there , the branch piping can be run / replaced / installed above the ground .

What really has me concerned , is if the leak is between the water meter & the house . :-(

Not only would that involve digging up the water main , but the water main also passes under concrete and under the footing / foundation of the outside wall . :-(

I am wondering what size water main was SOP for a 3 bedroom house built in the 1950's ? I know the main lines are 3/4" and branch off to 1/2" .

God bless
Wyr

Old 02-24-14, 08:33 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I had ½" IIRC but mine was mid 40's and galvanized. If your area of Texas is like mine you can probably get all of the exposed buried main from the meter dug up for $60-$70 if you use a worker from the street corner labor pool. I paid $50 and the guy did it in less then three hours.

Old 02-24-14, 08:59 AM
W
Since I am seeing 3/4" copper going to the old location of the WH , I am guessing the main water line is at least 3/4" copper ?

There is a location where a 3/4" copper comes up out of the ground goes up the bathroom wall , stubbed out into the utility / laundry room , does a u-turn , re enters the wall and goes back down into the dirt .

My guess is there used to be a water softener at that location , in the utility / laundry room ? And when it went away , they just added the u-turn ?

I found all this when two steel nipples the dummies had used inside the bath room wall , started leaking :-(

I looped the CW back on itself , under the floor and extended one 3/4" copper line into the utility / laundry room to supply CW to the new electric WH . I took the new 3/4" copper HW line back down under the floor to supply HW to that piping system .

As far as digging a ditch , I could probably get our youngest son to help .

But I would have to do some hunting and finding first ?

If it has a 1" water main , I might try to use it as a sleeve to push in a new 3/4" line ?

God bless
Wyr

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: