Need ideas on replacement Hot Water heater

Old 02-01-14, 07:00 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need ideas on replacement Hot Water heater

Hello,

I'm buying a home next month and it has a gas hot water heater which is over 20 years old. I want to proactively replace it and was thinking of going with a tankless hot water heater to save space.

I'm a licensed electrician so I would be able to install an electric one myself and it doesnt require a vent - which is a plus , however I have a friend who is a licensed HVAC contractor who could install the gas version at a discounted rate.

What should I look for in a tankless water heater and what should I try to steer clear from when shopping for one? I favor reliability over features.

What are the pros and cons of gas vs electric tankless water heaters

Old 02-01-14, 07:53 AM
G
Received 28 Upvotes on 27 Posts
On a Btu basis, natural gas is much cheaper than electricity. The hardest thing about replacing a gas water heater is getting the old one, heavy with lime, out of the basement or wherever. That is a 2-man job.

My guess is that a tankless electric heater will require 240V?

Old 02-01-14, 08:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 912 Upvotes on 770 Posts
Whole house tankless electric water heater most cases will require 2 x 60 amp 240v feeds (120 amps total)

A gas one will likely require a 3/4" gas line.

Tankless look good on paper, but not so much in the real world. Be sure to do your research before committing.

Old 02-01-14, 01:56 PM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
I want to proactively replace it and was thinking of going with a tankless hot water heater to save space
Most people I have talked to who switched to tankless water heaters were not all that happy with them. I'd just replace it with a good brand gas tank type heater, either 40 or 50 gallons, and flush it annually.

Old 02-02-14, 01:21 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hard Water

We have very hard water . Do not know about your water chemestry ?

I have been told , with our water , a tankless woll plug ip pretty soon ?

God bless
Wyr

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: