Converting from boiler hw to stand-alone wh

Old 02-12-14, 05:47 PM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Converting from boiler hw to stand-alone wh

Currently have an oil-fired boiler that provides domestic hw. Thinking of installing a stand-alone electric wh; rates in the area make it cost effective.

My question is, what do I do with the tank in the boiler? Right now, cold water enters and exits as hot to fixtures. If I add a water heater, cold water would bypass the boiler and enter/exit the heater. Do I simply cut the pipes entering the boiler tank? If I simply cap them, leaving the boiler tank dry, is that detrimental to the boiler?

One thought I had was to have cold water enter the new water heater and have hot water leaving the new water heater now enter the boiler tank, keeping it functional. Does that make sense?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-14, 12:52 AM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
Completely remove the piping to the boiler coil (tank) and do not even consider connecting it to the new water heater. You can leave the connections on the boiler uncapped or cap them as you desire. Many people here advise against capping as they are afraid of developing pressure in the coil but my opinion is that is not going to happen.