DIY replace pressure release valve?

Old 02-20-14, 11:09 AM
B
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
DIY replace pressure release valve?

Can I replace the pressure release valve on my water heater? It's a kenmore elite 50 gallon, 3 years old. I'm wondering if it's a threaded component that I can just unscrew and thread a new one back one? Prob need to turn off water and depressurize the tank somehow?

Old 02-20-14, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Yes you can, but is it leaking? And why is it leaking?

You may have a pressure issue..

Is there an expansion tank nearby? Do you have a PRV valve at the incoming main to the home?

Old 02-20-14, 01:16 PM
B
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Sorry, should've provided more. Thanks to another thread on here I determined my problem. Yes the valve has been releasing for some time now. Also my water heater seemed to be giving off way too high heat. In my other thread I asked what could be the cause. One was a bad thermostat. Another was a bad pressure valve at the main where the city water comes in. That was it. Had a plumber come out and confirm the valve at the city inlet was letting in 150psi!!! And for awhile I think. Who knows what damage has been done, but it was causing both my water heater release valve to go off and the heater to constantly be reheating the water. And hence seem like the temp was set too high. As soon as the main release valve was fixed the temp returned to normal. But I'm assuming there could be damage to my heaters release valve over time? So to be safe I want to replace it. Oh also have an expansion tank installed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: