No pressure with Instant hot water heater

Old 02-20-14, 06:33 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool No pressure with Instant hot water heater

I installed an electric 2.5 gpm whole house instant hot water heater for a 1000sq. ft. single story cottage. I was told this could handle a 1.5 bath, 1 shower, kitchen sink and dishwasher. Maybe not all running at once but at least a shower and dishwasher. The water coming into the house is about 45F. I have the heater set for 115F and the flow cuts in half if I operate just the kitchen sink hot water and one bathroom sink hot water. I understand the flow slows in order to heat the water. I have been reading up on this and there seems to be two choices. Have another unit connected in series, with the first one set at 90F feeding the next unit which would only have to raise the temperature 25 or 30 F. I ran the single unit at 90F and the gpm did not seem to fluctuate with multiple uses.
The other solution which I read about is to connect a small 10 gal. or 20 gal. electric storage heater after the instant heater with an additional pump to maintain the flow needed throughout the house. Does anyone have any advice as to the best way to remedy the situation?
Thank You
Bubba

Old 02-20-14, 07:40 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Not even close.
Even with a low flow shower head just the shower will use 2.5 GPM.

Old 02-21-14, 07:43 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
The other solution which I read about is to connect a small 10 gal. or 20 gal. electric storage heater after the instant heater with an additional pump to maintain the flow needed throughout the house.
That kind of defeats the purpose of the first unit and will be more expensive to operate than just a single tank type water heater.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: