Pressure Relief Valve Leaks on New Water Heater

Old 02-22-14, 09:05 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pressure Relief Valve Leaks on New Water Heater

I just bought a new 50 gal gas water heater to replace my old 40 gal (it was 15 yrs old and there are now 5 of us in the family ). While the Lowe's subcontractor that installed it was still there (I am not experienced enough to do gas work myself), the pressure relief valve started to leak (I was at work but my wife was there to ask questions). They told her to replace our pressure regulator on our city water intake and they were unable to do it since it wasn't in their contract with us. They told us that in the meantime just leave the utility sink hot faucet open enough to let a trickle out, which caused the leak to stop. I want to know if it sounds right that I should replace the regulator. Many other posts I've seen mentioned installing an expansion tank. I'm pretty sure I don't have one. I guess the bottom line is I don't understand why the old one didn't leak, but now the new one does.

Old 02-22-14, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
welcome to the forums...

The 50 gallon has a bigger burner. So more thermal expansion...

Code I believe is an expansion tank is needed when the home has a PRV.. Its a closed system...

Get a pressure gauge and check what you have in the home. They sell these at the homestores that attach to a house bib. This will tell you if the PRV is bad and have high pressure... Should not be over 80 psi.

If permits were pulled bring it up to the inspector. Lowes should come back and install an expansion tank...

Old 02-23-14, 08:48 AM
N
How big

Thanks for the info! Any guess as to how big an expansion tank I should get (2 or 5 gallon seem to be my options)?

Old 02-23-14, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator
The 2 gallon should suffice..............

read here....

http://r.search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0L...Expansion2.pdf

Old 02-23-14, 11:39 AM
N
Next step

I bought a pressure gauge that I could attach to my utility sink. It read 180 psi! Is the regulator now the issue or should I still install the expansion tank I bought? I'm worried about that high of a reading.

I just tested tried adjusting the regulator and it had no effect. I think I definitely have to replace it. I guess I would like to know if it would be worthwhile installing the expansion tank, too.

Last edited by Nathan Gerencir; 02-23-14 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-23-14, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator
You need a new regulator and a expansion tank.. You have a closed system. re read my link...

Warning...180 psi you are going to start blowing joints in your piping...

I would turn off the main and open a faucet to relive the pressure until its repaired...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: