Tankless electric water heater

Old 02-26-14, 10:08 PM
A
asi
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Do these (tankless water heaters ) reduce electric bill and how much is pay back time.

I posted in an other thread that my electric bill has increased about $800 in 2013. Some increase is due to electricity rates and fuel surcharge and rest I suspect is due to new water heater.

I will go through old bill to find our kwh used by year to exactly find out difference.

Any suggestion regarding brands, model. My current model is whrilpool 50 gallons.

Old 02-26-14, 10:40 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
No, an electric tankless water heater will NOT lower your electric bill. One kilowatt of electricity is roughly 3400 BTUs of heat. It takes one BTU to raise the temperature of one pound of water one degree F. It makes not one bit of difference if that water is heated instantaneously in a tankless heater or over a period of time in a tank-type heater it will always take the same amount of electricity to heat any given quantity of water from a certain lower temperature to a certain higher temperature.

I will respond to your other thread later.

Old 02-27-14, 08:14 AM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
They also are high maintenance.

Old 02-27-14, 10:27 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,279 Upvotes on 1,217 Posts
Tankless water heaters are a lot better on paper than in real life. I wouldn't install one but if I did, it would have to be gas, not electric.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: