Whirlpool Hybrid Electric 80 gallon Water Heater

Old 02-28-14, 08:17 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool Hybrid Electric 80 gallon Water Heater

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about pulling the oil-fired indirect DHW and replacing with a HPWH, given I have some rebates and I'm currently burning 1.08gal/day for DHW at $1395/year to heat my water.

I would like to know what you think of this unit, or any others that are recommended. For installation, is it necessary to include the vacuum relief valve and expansion tank "optional items?" I have well water with a large Amtrol WELL-X-TROL on the cold side currently, though it sits before the neutralizer.

Lastly, can I run the condensate line to a sump with is about 6 feet away?

All input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryan

Old 02-28-14, 08:26 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Hybrid water heaters are essentially electric water heaters with a heat pump attached to cover the standby losses and short draws such as washing your hands or brushing your teeth. When used for most other uses (dishwasher, long shower, tub bathing and the like) it is the electric elements that will do the lion's share of water heating.

The biggest thing I dislike about the hybrid water heaters is they have the same guarantee as the standard electric water heaters, usually six years on the tank. Considering that they cost twice as much as a straight electric I think they should also have a longer guarantee.

Don't forget that you need a 30 ampere 240 volt circuit for this unit. If it is more than 50 feet or not in a direct line-of-sight from the electrical panel you will also need a local disconnect switch.

The vacuum breaker is a LOCAL code requirement in some jurisdictions. The expansion tank may also be required by the local code although IF there are no check valves (of any kind) between the heater and the well tank that well tank will absorb the thermal expansion from the heater.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: