Heat Pump Water Heater?

Old 03-04-14, 04:28 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Heat Pump Water Heater?

My electric water heater is starting to rust around the bottom and it's 18 years old so I'm looking to replace it and am getting the usual 3 bids. In addition to standard WH, I'm wondering about a heat pump WH.

Current WH is in a basement closet next to the furnace/air handler, and while there seems to be enough width and possibly ceiling height for the WH plus heat pump, one contractor told me you shouldn't install these units in closets because there isn't enough air exchange. Another contractor was measuring and talking like it wouldn't be any problem to put one in the closet. I'm hoping folks on this forum can give me a single consensus as to whether I should have it installed in a closet.

If the HP-WH answer is no, is there any difference between AO Smith, Bradford-White and Rheem? Any suggestions for how to pick between the various 50 gal WH? Thanks much..

Old 03-04-14, 06:42 PM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
I have never had a heat pump water heater, but would have to question whether the operational savings would ever cover the increased initial cost.

AO Smith, Bradford-White and Rheem
Strictly my opinion is I'd put AO Smith and Bradford-White at the top and Rheem slightly under them. I don't think you'd really go wrong with any of the three. Stay away from American Water Heater product, they don't seem to have ever gotten a good handle on the FVIR technology. I'd also stay away from the big box brands, I prefer a professional looking installation.

Old 03-04-14, 06:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,149 Upvotes on 3,726 Posts
AO Smith is definitely a company to stick with. The heatpump hot water heater may be a little noisy for a closet in a living space.

I heard one running and wouldn't want it in my house. Basement/garage is fine.

Old 03-05-14, 02:06 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Read my comments in this thread: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/wa...ns-please.html

I do not think the heat pump water heater is a good buy because it has no longer a warranty than does the conventional water heater but it DOES have a price two to three times higher. In my opinion it will be difficult to achieve any economic savings over the life of the unit unless you have extremely high electrical rates and likely not even then..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: