Water Heater - need help assessing if water leakage has occurred

Old 03-05-14, 08:07 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water Heater - need help assessing if water leakage has occurred

My neighbors are experiencing water coming down into their unit. My water heater has also recently stopped working, I cannot get the pilot light to stay lit after releasing the control button. I have tried replacing the T-couple but that has not fixed the issue. I want to do my due diligence to make sure the water is not coming from my water heater...as far as I can tell there has been not been water leakage. Is there anything in these pictures that would indicate to some of you with better trained eyes, that there has been enough water leakage to cause problems for the downstairs neighbors on several different occasions?

Name:  WaterHeater1.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  39.8 KBName:  WaterHeater2.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  30.4 KB

Old 03-06-14, 01:28 PM
T
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
Floor looks dry to me. If you can't see any water on the floor, your neighbors issue isn't being caused by the heater. That's not to say it's not being caused by your units plumbing.

Old 03-06-14, 04:28 PM
A
Received 287 Upvotes on 262 Posts
With a water heater that has legs it should be easy to verify whether it is the source of water leaking down below. Slide paper towels under it.

It's not quite foolproof for water heaters with solid bases that sit directly on the floor, although you will usually see water seeping out from under if the heater is leaking.

Old 03-06-14, 05:56 PM
S
keep in mind the HWH is on the house side of the incoming main water and not regulated...if you had a leak it would constantly be wet or flooded.typical 50-60psi pressure.the relief on the HWH would be a drip point have you blown it off into a bucket in the last 10 years....on the thermocouple clean the female part of the gas valve with a QTIP with alk on it....finger tighten the coupling cap tube in and slight turn with a adjustable.. don'r slam it in

Old 03-07-14, 04:50 AM
Received 729 Upvotes on 644 Posts
That floor darin and what looks like an open pipe???

Old 03-11-14, 07:45 PM
D
Thanks for the replies. The neighbor contacted me as they were having another leak and I came home to find water coming from the ceiling in my utility room. The unit above had been doing the wash at the time. The neighbor below came upstairs to have a look also. However, the management company the HOA hired is insisting that my water heater is the cause of the leak in the unit below and are threatening to cap the lines if the water heater is not replaced.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: