water heater thermostats tripping

Old 03-07-14, 10:51 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
water heater thermostats tripping

Twice in the last month both water heaters that are plumbed together and wired on two separate circuits have tripped the red reset buttons. I have found a small leak on one tank on bottom element that has caused corrosion on the ground grounding the tank.
My question is this ground capable of causing the thermostats to trip? And why does both the stats trip?

Old 03-08-14, 09:27 AM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
Thermostats don't trip, the red button is on the high temperature limit control that is attached to the top thermostat. Once the high temperature limit starts tripping and continues to do so several times, the limit control gets weak and you'll have premature nuisance tripping. The question would be why did it trip the first time?

My question is this ground capable of causing the thermostats to trip? And why does both the stats trip?
Water leakage or grounding has nothing to do with the high temperature limit control. It only trips when the tank temperature exceeds the temperature rating of the control. You have some other problem.

Old 03-08-14, 10:58 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
temperature limit

Ok I get that then so if the temp limit is reached to cause the first one to trip that should stop the water from overheating to even get to the second tank. The second limit button should never have tripped. The element has nothing to do with this correct?

Old 03-08-14, 12:19 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
If an element has an internal "short circuit to ground" fault then the thermostat will not completely remove power. Under this condition the element will always be heating, albeit at a lower rate, and that could cause the temperature to climb high enough to trip the high temperature safety thermostat. It would be rare, but not impossible, to have a faulted element on both heaters.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: