Heating Elements burning out after water company repairs outside line

Old 03-16-14, 10:19 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Heating Elements burning out after water company repairs outside line

My electric water heater elements keep burning up after the water company repairs a main water line down the street. This is the third time my elements (top and bottom) have had to be replaced. Each time they burnt was immediately following the water company repairing a water line break down the street from me that causes me and my neighbor to not have water at all for a day. Each time when my water is working again, I don't have hot water and each time it has turned out to be the heating elements that are the culprit. Is it possible that this is just a coincidence and there is something wrong with my water heater, or is it possible somehow that the repairs on the line are causing this to happen? The heater itself is relatively new (2-3 years). Thanks for the help.

Old 03-16-14, 10:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,082 Upvotes on 3,665 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It's not a coincidence. When the water company shuts your water off.... the tank is probably partially draining causing the top element to be out of water. That will cause the element to burn up quickly. If the top element doesn't heat up and activate the top thermostat.... then the bottom element should not be coming on. In your case just changing the top element is most likely all that needed to be done.

Old 03-16-14, 11:00 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Talking

Thank you PJMax. I've been told different things about this but this confirms my suspicions. Thanks again.

Old 03-16-14, 12:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Jack, I know you gleaned this from Pete's post, but if you have a suspicion they are turning the water off, turn off your breaker to the water heater to save from having to replace the elements.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: