not enough hot water?

Old 04-02-14, 06:43 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
not enough hot water?

I can barely finish a shower. have delta low flow shower head that is only few years old. Also can't fill up my tub and have it be warm. It is large-Jacuzzi with 68 gallon minimum. I have Rheem electric hot water tank that holds 50 gallon so I would think a full tank should fill it since I am not using only hot water. After the hot water runs out I have gone to tank and did some testing. I have 240Volts to one thermostat (and heating element) and then after a while I have 240 volts to the other thermostat and element. then both would be 0. This all seems normal to me. The elements are 4500 watts each. I have shut off power, pulled the wires to the elements and then did continuity testing and both had continuity, although I don't remember the resistance reading. This is an old tank-wife bought house in 1999 and I don't know how old it was then? Any ideas on troubleshooting?

Old 04-02-14, 08:58 PM
Did these two problems just start? In other words, have you had sufficient hot water before?

Based on your tests, the hot water heater should be okay.

First thing I would do is go close and reopen the hot water shutoff at the tank. It could be clogged and opening and closing it may release the clog.

Have you drained the hot water heater before? It could be fully of rusty metal.

Have you done or had done any recent plumbing changes?

Old 04-02-14, 09:36 PM
H
I haven't drained it in a while. I will try that.
i can't say when it started for sure. I have had major changes in plumbing. I put on very large addition and new master bath is part of addition. Had entire plumbing re-done as it was incorrect-I think it was 1/2" into tank and all lines instead of 3/4" and going down to 1/2" at fixtures. My lines go through unheated crawlspace and it takes long time till I have hot water in bath, but that shouldn't really change the amount of hot water that I have once it reaches my new bath. And the water temp seems fine when it first starts to get hot so not like the crawlspace is cooling down water that much.
I think the new bath has always had problems. I should try taking shower in the old shower and see how that goes? But I think it will be same. The pressure is fine everywhere.

Old 04-02-14, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
The dip tub is probably broken...

then both would be 0.
After the water heater has fully heated go to a tub with a 5 gal bucket. See how many buckets you get before the water starts to cool down. You should get 7 buckets or so before the water starts getting cooler.

If you get less its the dip tube I would say...

Old 04-03-14, 11:55 AM
H
thanks mike. After looking up what that is?? I think you are probably right. unfortunately looks like not available at big box. have to find plumbing supply house locally. probably have to be weekend task to change.

Old 04-03-14, 06:50 PM
Old 04-06-14, 12:04 AM
H
well looked at tank and the serial number is R 0497C04598, so it was manufactured in April 97. So i think it has the defective dip tube. But I don't seem to be having any problems with pressure (due to the particles getting into aerators) and this is a long time till failure? I can take it apart and see if broken and change it, but should I work on a 17 year old tank? Is it possible that I could brake it trying to remove dip tube? I'm gonna see if they have them at ACE tomorrow, but wondered if I should proceed given age of tank? didn't really want to have to get new tank cause they just ran natural gas down my street and was thinking of tapping in and going tankless. was hoping old one would survive till ready to do that. If need to get new one, suggested size? current tank 50 gallon. family of 4, kids are 11 year old daughter and 8 year old son. 3 baths (master with tub mentioned above about 70 gallon and shower with dual heads-one bath with shower-one bath with tub only and suspect tub not going to be used much more) have shower being put in basement but that won't be finished for a while.

Old 04-06-14, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
they just ran natural gas down my street and was thinking of tapping in and going tankless.

Do your research... Most soaking tubs have 9 gpm faucets installed in them. Tankless units, even the largest units, just cannot produce the gpm to work well..

If they ran gas down the street then call gas company and inquire. They often will run the meter to your house at no charge as long as you install a gas appliance with in a yr...

Some gas company's will even run the gas lines in the home and install the heater at 0% interest and put it on the gas bill to pay over time....

Most install bradford white..

You most likely need to go with a power vent unit... I would say a 75 gallon..

Although if you can afford it I would put 2- 50 gallon units in. Install in parallel. Shut one down and only use the other when you want to fill the tub... Alternate yearly between the two...

Just my opinion....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: