Pressure relief valve facing rear of water heater

Old 04-06-14, 02:10 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pressure relief valve facing rear of water heater

I got a GE (manufactured by Rheem)water heater from Home Depot and the pressure relief valve is facing the rear of the water heater. I have a small closet where the water heater goes and has no room behind it.
Does anyone know if I can rotate the pressure relief valve? Or any other ways I can make it work?
I could move the water head a few inches from the rear wall, but that would require re-plumbing the drip pan.

Old 04-06-14, 02:27 PM
lawrosa's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Galivants Ferry SC USA
Posts: 15,997
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Yes.. Turn the relief valve CW only to the position you need... May need a large 18" wrench to make your life simpler...
Old 04-06-14, 03:17 PM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 36,607
Upvotes: 0
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
I would just put a male adapter with an elbow on the T&P taking it to the direction I wanted it to go. Always afraid of using monster wrenches on cast brass, but that's me.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: