Water Heater Pressure Dilemma - Very Strange

Old 04-23-14, 11:52 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water Heater Pressure Dilemma - Very Strange

I have a 50 gallon electric water heater. I believe it's a US Craftmaster brand.

Water pressure coming into the house is around 60-70psi, checked with a gauge.

The T&P valve has had a steady stream coming out of it for some time, before I realized what was going on. It is currently pumping out a fairly decent amount of water.

I turned off the electricity to the water heater and the cold water incoming line, drained the tank completely, opened all of the faucets in the house and the T&P valve and refilled it.

I left the power off the entire time - once the tank was filled, I closed all of the faucets, then closed the T&P valve and let it finish filling. Even with the electricity shut off and cold water in the tank, the T&P valve began to stream.

Checked the pressure on the hot side (with cold water in the tank and no electric, mind you), and it was indeed 150psi.

How in the world is the pressure getting that high in the tank and what can I do to alleviate it? I'm afraid of my water bill this month.

I turned the thermostats WAY down and turned it back on and the same issue persists.

Old 04-23-14, 04:30 PM
A
Received 278 Upvotes on 254 Posts
Are you sure your system water pressure doesn't fluctuate, getting up to 150 PSI when all faucets are turned off?

Your house needs a pressure regulator on the incoming water line (or an existing pressure regulator adjusted or replaced).

Also, you do have an expansion tank in your plumbing system, no? It's usually located above the water heater.

Old 04-23-14, 06:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I would pick up one of these basic water pressure gauges to see what the system pressure is.

If the water is leaking out the T&P valve with the power off...... then a pressure tank won't affect the leak nor will the thermostat settings.

As Allan mentioned..... you may need a pressure reducing valve - replaced or installed. (and then maybe a pressure tank for hot water heater)

Rain Bird 3 in. P2A Water Pressure Gauge-P2A at The Home Depot

Old 04-24-14, 08:20 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I checked the cold side water pressure with all faucets closed. It does not fluctuate. It was between 60-70 (can't remember the exact number) and didn't budge.

I do not have an expansion tank on the system. I am on rural water and our pressure is not very high at my house. I even went as far as turning down the pressure at the meter, to no avail.

Could something be wrong with the water heater? I'm just not sure how you can take ~65 psi and turn it into 150 psi without any heat or anything.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: