Small Leak from T&P Relief Valve

Old 05-02-14, 02:08 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Small Leak from T&P Relief Valve

We moved into a new home about 3 months ago, and prior to the move-in as part of the sales contract, a new T&P relief valve was installed. We only recently discovered after moving some boxes in the garage that were in front of the water heater that it was leaking. I first noticed that it only leaks after a large use of hot water, like a couple of showers in a row, or a large bath is drawn, and leaks only after when refilling and heating the new water. There are dual thermostats, and I have experimented with the temperatures and found that the hotter the setting the more it leaks. About 12 oz. with both set at 127 and 1-2 oz. when both set at 123. When I turned the thermostat up to around 127 I heard it click on. So, it appears the thermostats are working. The relief valve is working in that it is relieving the excess pressure/temperature corresponding to a rise or lowering of the temperature. But the water temperature needs to be at about 125 and it leaks at this temperature. The water heater was manufactured, and installed, less than 3 years ago, so I shouldn't think there would be a problem with the core. Any ideas what the problem might be?

Old 05-02-14, 03:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
You should have an expansion tank installed on the cold water pipe leading to the water heater. Here's an example AMTROL, Therm-X-Trol Expansion Tank, ST-5 at The Home Depot - Tablet

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: