Hot Water Heater Help

Old 05-25-14, 09:42 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hot Water Heater Help

I have a 14 year old Richmond double element non-simultaneous hot water heater. This year when I opened up my cottage it would not hear the water. I got my DMM out and tested power the power on the top element and thermostat and it seemed fine. Then I tested the bottom thermostat and element, but there is no power at the lower element. Both elements have the proper ohm readings so I thought it was the lower thermostat. From what I read it should have 120V but it was below that. I replaced that but still nothing. Any ideas??

Old 05-25-14, 10:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,144 Upvotes on 3,722 Posts
With that type of water heater..... the top element heats first. Then when the water in the top of the tank is hot - the top thermostat turns the top element off and the bottom element on.

You'll need to turn power off to water heater. Remove the two wires from the top element and check it for continuity. Most likely you'll find it open/burned.

Old 05-25-14, 10:48 AM
R
Thanks for the reply! I just pulled the top one out and it was blown apart. I replaced it with a new one and still nothing. I'm stumped as to what the issue is.

Old 05-25-14, 12:22 PM
R
I have two new elements and two new thermostats on it and still nothing. Any help would be appreciated!

Old 05-25-14, 12:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,144 Upvotes on 3,722 Posts
Do you have 240vac on the top element ?

Old 05-25-14, 12:43 PM
R
Yep i have right around there

Old 05-25-14, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Having 240v at the top element means nothing... ( Need to test amp draw)

I assume you drained the heater to change the elemnet, correct?

Did you bleed the air out of the water heater before you turned on the electric to the heater when you changed the element? If not you may have damaged the new element...

Kill power, remove one wire from the top element and test again for continuity...

Old 05-25-14, 12:59 PM
R
When filling it I left my faucet open. Here's the deal now....I turned it on for 30 minutes and it started to feel warm but still no current to the bottom element. Turned on my faucet and it's hot now. Does the bottom only go on after it's warmed up? Is it possible that there isn't current going to it because it's trying to get to the max temp?

Old 05-25-14, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Only one element comes on at a time.

Set both t stats to the same temp.. 120F?

To test bottom element, lower top t stat to lowest setting. Bottom element should some on...

Top element comes on first from a cold heater on initial cycle. When top is satisfied, bottom will heat until satisfied...

Old 05-31-14, 07:52 AM
R
Hey guys so I fixed the hot water heater but I'm noticing two more problems. There will be really nice and hot water but then there will be a wave of cold then back to hot. The next issue is that there is air in the hot water line. When we filled the hot water heater we left the faucets open and used the pressure relief valve to let the air out. The only thing I can think of is that we shut our pump and hot water heater off when we aren't at our cottage. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: