Using Upstairs Shower Causes Water Heater Pilot Light to Go Out

Old 06-12-14, 11:04 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Using Upstairs Shower Causes Water Heater Pilot Light to Go Out

Hello all. I was hoping someone might be able to clue me in about the problem here, as Google is not helping much.

The gas water heater is in the basement. The strange this is, everytime I use the shower on my home's second floor the pilot light on the water heater goes out. Starting about 2 weeks ago this would happen daily every time I would take a shower upstairs. So, for the past 4 days I've showered only in the first floor shower; the result has been no water heater issues over the past 4 days.

So I'm wondering what the problem might be. Could the shower valve be bad?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Old 06-12-14, 11:30 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,258 Upvotes on 2,011 Posts
My vote is that using the upstairs shower and the pilot light going out is pure coincidence unless the house is haunted.

Old 06-12-14, 12:14 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: egbrown76

I've been in the gas appliance service industry for well over 25+ years until recently retiring. Encountered what I thought was every possible and conceivable issue with a gas water heater. Guess not. This one baffles me too!

There has to be some details missing. Cold Water in and Hot water out of a water heater from any faucet or into any appliance (dishwasher, washing machine etc) has no known cause nor effect.

I do not subscribe to house is haunted theory...:NO NO NO: Nor the pure coincidence theory. Neither provides you with any possible other help that you have not been able to get searching any other site.

Happens to often as you mentioned. Therefore, has to be a circumstance not mentioned or one you may have noticed.

If at all possible, take some time and think of what difference(s) are present between showering upstairs versus downstairs. ...In order to help you help us. Hopefully together and somehow we can determine a cause and offer a solution....

Old 06-12-14, 01:13 PM
P
Received 19 Upvotes on 18 Posts
do you turn on a bathroom exhaust fan when you shower? Just trying to find a connection as simply running water through the heater will not affect the pilot light. I assume you can get the burner to kick in using the hot water in a sink or washing machine just as easily but the pilot light stays on? Perhaps the house is so tightly sealed so that turning on the exhaust fan impacts the pilot light?

Old 06-13-14, 05:44 AM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sharp Advice and Pjaffe, thanks so much for your responses. So, starting last night the pilot started going out without using the upstairs shower, which of course strongly suggests that the problem has nothing to do with using the upstairs shower. I'll check the usual suspects like the TC, etc. and see what happens.

Thanks again for your responses!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: