Tankless???

Old 06-27-14, 08:06 AM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tankless???

A friend of mine is telling me it's time to convert to a tankless gas fired hot water heater. we currently have an electric hot water heater. They have recently put gas on the street and we have scheduled to run it to the house to put in a gas range and fireplace logs. Wondering if I should make the water heater switch at the same time? Thoughts?

Thanks

Old 06-27-14, 08:30 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Posted by Lawrosa:
They save you nothing .
Cost more to own.
Cost more to install.
Need to run new dedicated gas line.
Need to run new electric line.
Break down more often because of sensitive electronics and parts.
Get cold slugs of water(sandwich efect)
Takes longer for HW to get to the tap.
More often need expensive steel venting for the units..

For the cost of installing one tankless unit I can install 4 conventional units. If the conventional lasted 10 years each thats 40 yrs.

Compared to the less then 10 the tankless will last. ( I have not seen one my self not last more then 6 years without issues, or being completely replaced. Usually from a costly electrical failure.
Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...#ixzz35qjW0JlI

Old 06-27-14, 12:44 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,177 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Gas water heater with a tank? Sure, consider doing that; especially if your electric is aging or of insufficient capacity.

Tankless? Not likely to be the right solution -they're much better on paper than in real life.

Old 06-27-14, 04:03 PM
B
Wow - I was not expecting those comments - I appreciate the response. I know two people that have the tankless and both love them. My major problem is my electric bill is way too high and I figure converting will help me save some $$$ monthly

Old 06-27-14, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
All depends on the usage and how new they are...RE your friends experience. Water quality and maintenance make a big difference as well.

I do agree that in 90% of the cases, a tank type is a better option.

Old 06-27-14, 06:34 PM
M
I've had a tankless for about 4 years now. While it works as its supposed to, I'd not do it again. All the listed issues above are true, especially annoying are waiting longer for hot water to get to the tap. Its the small things..like if you just want a small amout of warm water to brush your teeth or wash your hands, you have to turn on the tap full blast for a full minute to 'trigger' the tankless to fire up. Worse yet for me, college boy moved back home and likes to sleep in the shower...will stay for over an hour if he can get away with it. Endless hot water not always a good thing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: