Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Water Heaters
Reload this Page >

AO Smith Water Heater has moisture, rust, and particulate matter on burner plate

AO Smith Water Heater has moisture, rust, and particulate matter on burner plate

Old 07-04-14, 10:02 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have a GPSH 40-101 (installed in 2004) that has me curious as to the best angle for repair at the moment. My first inclination after reading several internet resources, asking the handymen I know, and doing some trouble-shooting is to replace the igniter assembly, but wondering if I should also replace the main burner or just go for the whole burner assembly-or maybe there is something else going on and I should call a service tech???

My water heater presents with the same issues for lighting that I have read in other threads-and ultimately ends up with the lock out code-2 ambers and the vacation mode light. We took out the burner assembly and used fine sandpaper to rub the flame sensor and got it to work - three times now and it works for a short while - but ultimately we end up in the same place with the lock out code. My water heater situation seems a little different from the others I have read in that the burner was covered with particulate matter (a lot the first time and just a little the second two times) and presents as damp and has obvious orange rust on the top...could this be simply the result of condensation from the malfunctioning unit or possibly something else internally that I should be considering???

Old 07-04-14, 01:07 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Considering all the problems with AO Smith water heaters that I see posted here, I would cut my losses & replace it with another brand. If you can't do that, go for the cheapest solution.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: