Only have luke warm water?

Old 07-09-14, 03:25 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Only have luke warm water?

So, we just bought this house about 2 months ago. A few weeks after moving in, I started to notice our water smelt like rotten eggs. We have well water. After looking into what I should attempt to get rid of the smell, I figured my first look was going to be at the water heater. Before I touched anything, our hot water was fine. A few days ago, I bought a new rod for the water heater. I turned off the water and gas to it, drained the water heater, replaced the rod, then flushed it a few times to attempt to get rid of some sediments in the heater. Then filled it back up and re-lit the pilot and started the heater again.

Ever since then, our water has been luke warm. I checked the dial on it. It's set to the middle. It was set to the middle before I started. Any other suggestions? BTW, our water heater is a natural gas water heater.

(The rotten egg smell seems to be gone though. So that's a plus.)

Old 07-09-14, 05:30 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,273 Upvotes on 1,213 Posts
Have you looked at the dip tube?

Old 07-09-14, 05:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,233 Upvotes on 1,992 Posts
If the water is the same temperature for all the faucets in the home then I would check to make sure the pickup dip tube in the water heater is not broken like Mitch17 mentioned. If it's only the tub or show with warm water I would remove the faucet's cartridge and give it a cleaning. The balancing valve in the faucet may be clogged with debris stirred up from your water heater work.

Old 07-09-14, 04:14 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ok, so i'm not sure if I'm just not quite remembering correctly the position of the temp dial before I started working on it. I swore it was in the middle. But I watched a few videos on youtube about replacing the dip tube and it makes sense that this could definitely be my problem and doesn't look too big of a problem to replace it. But at the same time, one of the videos, the guy doing the repair showed his was on max heat and his was cold. Mine was in the middle. Earlier today, I put it to one notch above middle and it seems to be warm enough now.

One thing I'll admit I'd probably have some difficulty with the repair is the soldering of copper lines. I've never done it. Looking at youtube videos, doesn't look that difficult. But, for now, I'll probably let it go unless it bothers me enough and that will probably be my first attempt at repairing it if so.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: