Atwood RV Water Heater not heating?

Old 07-12-14, 01:58 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Atwood RV Water Heater not heating?

I just installed a new Atwood 6 gallon propane water heater -Atwood Mobile Products 96110 Pilot Ignition Water Heater - 6 Gallon.

The unit appears to operate fine, the pilot stays lit, the burner has a strong blue flame, and the burner shuts down after 10 minutes or so.

I assumed I would have hot water. Actually got warm water for about 10 seconds, then back to cold. I put the temperature control to hot, the burner kicked in immediately and ran for 5-10 minutes, then shut down.

Checked the water at the sink (about 4 feet of pipe from the hot water discharge line from the heater) and same thing - lukewarm for a few seconds, then cold.

What could I have done wrong??

Old 07-12-14, 02:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,149 Upvotes on 3,726 Posts
I believe the burner is not staying on long enough. Any water that does got heated in that short time will rise to the top and be dispensed first which is why you're feeling short bursts of heated water.

I'm out on the road today. When I'm back in tomorrow I'll check further into your problem via the service manual.

Old 07-12-14, 05:22 PM
T
Thanks!

Thanks for offering to help.

I bought a whole new unit rather than just replace the tank that had blown apart- apparently it had not been properly winterized...

Old 07-14-14, 08:15 AM
T
More info.

I just started from fresh a couple of minutes ago. The burner stayed on for 22 minutes. Again, just a few seconds of luke warm water. Adjusted the temperature control to High, burner started and ran for 12 minutes. I got hot water for approx. 10 seconds, then war for a few seconds, then cold.

The heat generated for a total of 34 minutes has to be heating the water better than that?

There is no air in the lines. No anti-freeze by-pass. No check valve that I can see.

I'll add a photo of the plumbing with the various shut-offs - all of which I have on open.

Attached Images  
Old 07-14-14, 11:29 PM
Group Moderator
Ok you have the 96110-G6A7 model. Pilot.... no 120vac electric heat..... correct ?

Something isn't making sense. The tank should be pretty hot in 1/2 hour.
I see your plumbing but it's a little hard to follow.

The following is a link to your service manual. Maybe it'll be of some help.
Look at page 26. It shows how to purge the air out of the tank.

Bryant rv/docs2/docs/atwoodwaterheater.pdf

Old 07-15-14, 09:45 AM
P
I am dealing w/ a similar problem

I had 10 seconds of hot water then nothing.

I then discovered (I'm clueless about this stuff) that my tank had the hot/cold valves closed (apparently winterized by previous owner). I opened them and could hear the tank filling. I then turned on the "electric" heater assuming my problems were solved. Now I don't even get 10 seconds of hot water.

I have a simple (and probably foolish) question. My unit is an Atwood "Electronic Ignition" unit which can apparently run on electricity OR propane. When I turn on "electric" is it actually going to heat the water or is propane use mandatory? Is the "electric ignition" ONLY for lighting the pilot light? (I ask because I was told by a tech rep this is how my refrigerator works.)

I was assuming there is an electric heating mechanism which has nothing to do w/ propane/pilot/burner? I suppose I'd only run both to heat the water as quickly as possible.?

Old 07-15-14, 10:09 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

I guess it's possible to run the gas and electric at the same time but I wouldn't recommend it based on the over temperature sensor.

The electronic ignition just lights the burner in gas mode. The electric uses a stand alone 1400w AC heating element with no need for gas. It will heat the water to hot but will take a little longer than the gas.

Up in thread 5 - I left a link to the service manual. Download and print it for yourself. It's well written, hard to get, a real plus for servicing and it has a lot if info about the heater in general.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: