Water heater in kitchen needs pan for insurance

Old 07-16-14, 04:47 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water heater in kitchen needs pan for insurance

My water heater is located in the kitchen, a middle room in this house, my insurance co. is threating to cancel me unless I install a pan and drainage, there is no close exterior wall to put a gravity line, the genius in the plumbing section at HD said I need to run the drain line on the floor or drill the slab I would think there is a better way, something like a pan with a pump that I could plumb into the sink drain, kinda like the dishwasher?

Old 07-17-14, 04:32 PM
A
Received 296 Upvotes on 271 Posts
How easily could you raise the water heater by about 3 or 4 inches? You'll have to shut off the power (if electrically heated) and drain the heater completely anyway to get it into the pan.

With the water heater raised a little you could install a small ejector pump (with reservoir aka sump) on the floor next to the pan.

Old 07-17-14, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I'm not sure if there is such a thing as a pump that would meet the possible volume requirements if the PRV let go or there was a catastrophic failure of the tank. I believe thats why all PRV piping and drain pan piping is required to gravity drain to the outside of the living space. This isn't like the drain pan on an A/C coil installed in the attic.

How exactly did the issue with the insurance company come about?

Old 07-17-14, 04:53 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I'd consider moving the water heater. Seeing your location is Florida I'm guessing you could do as we often do here if no where else to move it, add a 3'x3' lean-to on the back of the house. Of course there is also the garage or or attic option though I don't like the attic. Where is your washer dryer? Putting it there would make piping easy.

Old 07-17-14, 07:02 PM
Received 192 Upvotes on 172 Posts
What, no floor drain? How did that house ever pass inspection?

Old 07-17-14, 07:30 PM
The WH is in the kitchen. He's in Florida so probably slab, no basement.

Old 07-18-14, 07:54 AM
Received 192 Upvotes on 172 Posts
The WH is in the kitchen. He's in Florida so probably slab, no basement.
I think a floor drain would still have been required because the water heater was on a concrete floor especially since there was no adjacent outside wall.

Old 07-18-14, 08:37 AM
Mostly slab houses here (though maybe not a good indication of what's in Florida) but never seen a WH in the kitchen of a slab house, just in block and beam, so can't comment on the drain question. Considering the logistics and cost of adding a drain moving the WH makes sense to me but I'm not there. Guess we need to wait for Cyber-junckie.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: