Considering Power Vent from Standard

Old 08-19-14, 09:18 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Considering Power Vent from Standard

To avoid a costly chimney and roof repair I am considering going from gas standard to gas power vent. The idea is to knock the chimney down and re-roof that section. (This will cost in the 800-1000 by reputable roofing contractor) and have power vent installed (this will cost in the 1500-2000 range by reputable plumbing contractor).

Are power vents more proned to failure than a standard?
What little money will be saved since I assume these are more efficient?

Is there anything I should consider?

My concern mostly lays with the venting and having to deal with a 3" pipe out the sill plate of a basement where the only exit point will be just over 4' from a window and in close proximity to my furnace venting. Being that its a 3" pipe I see I will need to notch or cut a hole in joist if that is in issue.... but I digress... I have lots to think about.

Old 08-19-14, 11:09 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Pros are still at work, but should pop up later today.

I have a 16 year old Rheem power vent and the only service needed so far is to oil the vent motor occasionally.

The cost sounds a tad high, but I don't know what all the installer will have to deal with.

Since it sounds like your furnace is vented through the wall, could the chimney be patched reasonably and a metal flue run up the inside for a conventional water heater? No need then to repair a bad liner - if that's the problem.

Old 08-19-14, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Power vents can be vented in 2" as long as the run is short per the manufacturers instructions...

I use and recommend AO smith water heaters. A 40 gallon power vent can be had for about $850.........

Thinks to go wrong? Of course.. Fan motor, hot surface igniters, electronic intellivent gas valves... etc..

You will get a 1 yr parts and labor warranty, 6 yr tank warranty, and a 6 year parts only warranty...

Old 08-20-14, 05:12 AM
C
thanks for your replies.

Power vents can be vented in 2" as long as the run is short per the manufacturers instructions...
I was looking at the install manuals for a Bradford and a state model and both require 3" unless you with a lower BTU unit?

Seeing that the installations instructions were the same for both manufactures I am assuming 2" is only allowed for smaller heaters?

Old 08-20-14, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator
What size heater are you getting? A 75 gallon? Then yes 3" up to 50 ft

All heaters as I know, up to 50 gallon, can run 2" pipe up to 50ft..

Just an opinion, but sometimes 2 - 40 gal heaters installed in parallel are a better option for many reasons. If a larger unit was not what you had, make sure the gas line can support the additional 25,000 btu's...Otherwise other appliances may be affected.

4' from a window and in close proximity to my furnace venting.
How does the furnace vent now?

Old 08-20-14, 06:28 AM
C
I have 50 standard now... and could even go 40 perhaps (2 people in the house).

The furnace vents in the same proximity I would need the w/h to vent. I read the w/h cant be 12" closer to those vents. I may be good. The furnace intake and exhaust are 2".

Old 08-20-14, 11:34 AM
G
Don't base your needs (capacity) on just two living there now. It is better to figure size based on number of bedrooms (@ 2 persons each). If you ever go to sell, the next buyer will be looking at the water heater capacity along with everything else.

Old 08-21-14, 06:54 AM
C
thanks.

does power vent w/h have an intake pipe as well?

Old 08-21-14, 07:47 AM
G
Mine does not, and it does not appear that there is any provision for adding one.

It probably would need no more air than your current heater.

Old 08-21-14, 10:07 AM
C
Called the supply houses around here and the power vent 40 and 50's are only about 875. The few quotes I got over the phone from plumbers with install was in the 1500-2000 range.

Is that about right as far as time to install is concerned? I probably called the wrong plumbers right?

Old 08-21-14, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator
does power vent w/h have an intake pipe as well?
Some do as they are called direct vents. A power vent only exhausts. Add about $300 bucks for a direct vent..

plumbers with install was in the 1500-2000 range.

Is that about right as far as time to install is concerned? I probably called the wrong plumbers right?

In NJ if you called a big box truck type company for a regular athmospheric water heater install it would average about 1800 bucks...

Note: Power vents need an outlet on a dedicated line.. Are they installing that?
Also they will be drilling the hole in above sill plate?
They will get all permits, etc...
Are they giving you just the manufactures warranty?

Should be about 3 hours work. 900 heater minus 1500 = 600.. Thats $200 an hour. Thats about the going rate on the low end..

Here in NJ its about $300 an hour or more on average...

Old 08-21-14, 05:40 PM
C
Had an estimator out from one of the best/largest ($$) companies out today... they want 1900 to install the heater not counting the venting which would be done on time and material (about 110 bucks an hour)....

I think I am in a lot of trouble $$$$

If it was a standard heater I would be apt to try to install myself with a little help or hire a smaller handyman type gentlemen but the venting is what is stopping me from doing that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: