Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Inconsistent NG water heater

water heater:

GE Profile Performance
Nat Gas
50 gal
[at least] 12 years old [probably closer to 20]
haven't had any other issues in 10+ years

Mostly dispenses reasonably warm/hot water but, frequently the water will only be mildly warm [and less frequently fairly hot].

Never did any maintenance on it until last year [10+ years] when I drained off about a gallon of water and found that it was clear [no sediment].

Not sure of what this issue might be except maybe the thermocouple [from reading].

-----------------------------------------------
Looking for suggestions on what else could be an issue or what to look for.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-14, 12:02 AM
Received 16 Votes on 14 Posts
It is not the thermocouple which only keeps the pilot valve open to supply the pilot flame. It could be the thermostat as they sometimes become desensitized when they operate at the same temperature for years. Try setting the knob slightly higher or lower to see if it helps.

I hope that you are saving up for a new heater as the average lifespan of a gas-fired water heater is about 8 years. Many last longer, mine went 14 years almost to the day but realistically anything much beyond 10-12 years is really on borrowed time.

Old 10-13-14, 08:31 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ah, thanks Furd. I'll give that a try and see if the problem goes away -- Just hoping we have a 'mild' winter.

LOL, with both the water heater and my furnace I am on borrowed time.

The furnace is probably a little older and, it is a Tempstar. From my reading about furnaces, they are on the 'lower end of the scale'.

Old 10-19-14, 10:30 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
If no one has been using hot water for several hours, try turning the temperature dial up a notch or two and immediately back to its original position. Sometimes the thermostat does not kick the heater on when it should and this little trick will get the water back up to temperature.

If the water heater does not kick on or if it shuts off immediately when you turn the dial back down, then the water should still be hot inside.