can't relight gas water heater after it was turned off by technician

Old 10-13-14, 06:58 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
can't relight gas water heater after it was turned off by technician

I have lit my gas water heater myself in the past, without a problem. But I think the technician may have done something that I don't understand.

He closed the valve on the gas line, which I reopened, and he disconnected the thermocouple where it attaches to the control box, which I reconnected.

After that I followed the standard procedure for relighting the pilot light, but when I depress the pilot button and attempt to light it, it seems that there is no gas flowing into the pilot tube. I know that the gas in my house is operating fine, because my furnace is running on it.

Old 10-13-14, 07:15 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
What do you mean? Technician came in and took your stuff apart and then LEFT? Without fixing what he was called to fix? I hope you didn't give him any money!

I'm moving your post from boiler heating systems to water heaters...

Old 10-13-14, 07:53 PM
A
Oh thanks, I didn't realize this belonged in a different section.

No, there was a problem with it, it wasn't running completely cleanly... kind of a long story. But I have proper ventilation now and want to run it until I get the new one installed.

Old 10-14-14, 03:57 AM
Received 727 Upvotes on 643 Posts
I would guess a bad thermocouple. For the price of a new one it's worth a shot.

Old 10-14-14, 04:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
No, there was a problem with it, it wasn't running completely cleanly... kind of a long story. But I have proper ventilation now and want to run it until I get the new one installed.
It would seem the tech condemed it.. And for a reason.. Probably CO issues

But I have proper ventilation now and want to run it until I get the new one installed.
Just get a new one.. Forget about that unit..

We dont know the story and really cant give any advice. As a plumber I condemned many units in my time... Its for your own safety...........

Old 10-14-14, 09:52 AM
Can't imagine tech did not say anything if condemning it.

Old 10-14-14, 01:09 PM
A
He did condemn it for producing CO, but it is separated from the living part of the house and I'm getting a lot of airflow in the room it is in with a fan in the window.

I only intend to use it for one day or so until the new water heater is installed. By the way, I don't think I can say that it is a problem with the thermocouple because I can't even get to the point where it would be making use of the thermocouple. Even while holding open the pilot light valve manually I can't get it to light.

Old 10-14-14, 01:33 PM
For one or two days wait it's not worth playing around with the old unit.

Old 10-14-14, 01:56 PM
A
yeah, but it's just that my son has the PSAT tomorrow and with the cold weather around here recently it's almost impossible to take a shower without the hot water.

Old 10-14-14, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
but it is separated from the living part of the house and I'm getting a lot of airflow in the room it is in with a fan in the window.
Probably has to do with the flue pipe and draft... Its very dangerous territory and you can be killed from CO poisoning..

For safety reasons we cannot offer advice here..

When you have the company come out make sure a permit is taken out and all combustion air and flue issues are resolved...

Welcome to the forums....

But I will need to close this thread..I'm sure you understand...

Please feel free to post back in a new thread if other help is needed.....

yeah, but it's just that my son has the PSAT tomorrow and with the cold weather around here recently it's almost impossible to take a shower without the hot water.
I understand but whats your life worth???

Ask a neighbor or retaliative if you can use their facilitys...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: