gas water heater starts to get too hot

Old 10-23-14, 08:30 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
gas water heater starts to get too hot

Hello, I'm new here, so bare with me. My gas water heater( I believe it to a Rheem w/ Unitol thermostat) has been working properly until recently. now when I lite the pilot a flame shoots out, pilot lites the burner, but, the flame is a blue /orange color and noisy. In the 20 or so minutes it takes to get the water warm the thermostat starts to get hot to the touch, and thats when I shut it off. It was blowing carbon, but I blew it out with compressed air and vacuumed. It's not blowing carbon anymore. I'm thinking a bad thermostat?, regulator? Not enough oxygen in the burn? (hence the orange flame?) Thanks for listening

Old 10-23-14, 01:40 PM
A
Received 296 Upvotes on 271 Posts
When you blew out the soot, did you withdraw the burner unit so you could clean out each of the little passageways from the center to the perimeter?

Leave the bottom hatch open, and disconnect and move off to the side the exhaust pipe above. Then run the heater for not more than 60 seconds while observing the burner flame. If this results in an all blue frame then you may have an obstruction in the chimney above or in the intake vents below.

Orange or yellow in the flame means too much gas or too little air. Most water heater burners have a small orifice at the end of the main gas line (and a yet smaller orifice at the end of the pilot tube) to limit the gas flow. There is no louver or flap you can adjust to admit more or less air.. If the orifice has been burned too large then there may be too much gas coming in for the air supply.

Old 10-25-14, 07:48 AM
T
Thanks, for your response. I had removed the burner assembly and blew it out. the burner orifice is clear. One thing I noticed was an orange flame coming out from a fitting where the pilot light orifice goes, I removed the burner assembly again, and saw a small hole, the hole goes though the fitting into the tube. My question is what is this hole for and why is an orange flame coming out it. I put a small self-tapping screw in the hole, but I have not tried to light it. I wanted your thoughts on this first. Thanks again

Old 11-01-14, 08:17 AM
T
To clarify, I removed the burner assembly and cleaned burner tube using something like a pipe cleaner, removed the orifice and blew it out with compressed air. I did the same thing with the pilot light tube and the burner. I also cleaned the flue, pulling the long part of it out and cleaning it. Then keeping the air chuck lever pressed down with a hose clamp, put the hose down the flue, working it up and down. After that I cleaned the carbon and debris from the bottom, put the flue back in. I forgot to mention that the knob/dial on the gas control had melted some. Have I done everything? When I light the pilot, a yellow flame still shoots out. The burner still lights, but the last time the water wasn't hot after 20 minutes, and burner flame was low, and with it doing these same things the day before it was warm in the same time. I read somewhere that bad gas could be the cause. Bad thermostat gas valve? I'm running out of ideas. Thanks for listening.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: