AO Smith GPSH50 - no LEDs

Old 10-27-14, 05:19 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AO Smith GPSH50 - no LEDs

trying my luck to see if there are any kind and knowledgeable folks who can help. no hot water from AO Smith GPSH50 that was installed in 2006. used link provided in sticky and it's well out of warranty.

one day, kaput. no hot water. i'm able to verify power and that's about it. there are no LEDs lighting up.

had a plumber out and he said the motor is shot and time to replace. i agree on the whole, but would love nothing more than for $300ish dollars to buy 6 to 8 months of longevity.

i'm in IT for a living, not plumbing. in my world the lights would work separately from the motor so that the diagnostic tool would be able to...diagnose and stuff.

plumber said that the lights will only work if the motor runs. anyone out there agree? and anyone think this is even worth a little (very) amateur exploration or should i just call for a whole new water heater?

Old 10-27-14, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
plumber said that the lights will only work if the motor runs.
Disagree... Power should get to the gas valve.

Sounds like the wire harness from fan to gas valve... They often fail as they run internal in the tank..

Yes its worth fixing if its cheap enough... Problem is other then a igniter or a harness all the other parts are expensive..

IMO 8 yrs old best to replace...

Old 10-27-14, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator
Welcome to the forums June...

I was an AO smith rep/service tech...FYI...

Old 11-15-14, 01:15 PM
This June. I'm back. @lawrosa big thanks for steering us in the right direction. as a reminder...we have a 50 Gal / gas / AO Smith / Power Vent. It just stopped one day. Won't cycle. Lights from circuit board won't light up, etc. We replaced the cable from blower box to electric board. No Change. We recently replaced the blower. No Change...again, still no lights, no sound nothing. Is it safe to assume we have two more options? 1) change out the circuit board or 2) just replace the whole thing. curious about thoughts and recommendations. Thanks, June

Old 11-15-14, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator
Hi... What have you been doing for hot water?

Could be the gas valve itself.. I dont know why you changed the blower and I would suggest replacing the heater... You can fix it and it can start leaking the next day...

Old 11-15-14, 04:43 PM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
We replaced the cable from blower box to electric board. No Change. We recently replaced the blower. No Change...again,
How much have you spent trying to fix that dog so far?

What have you been doing for hot water?
I was wondering the same thing.

Old 11-17-14, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the replies. It's a vacant rental unit, so hot water has not been an issue. We've spent $150 thus far (replacement parts found from ebay). We just found a new, used control valve for $65 and will try once it arrives. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: