Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Water Heaters
Reload this Page >

rusty leak from blow off valve - not the actual valve. 9yr old gas tank

Old 11-25-14, 11:50 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

My tank is leaking a very slow rusty leak from the blow off valve. It is coming from where the valve and the tank meet - not actually out of the valve itself. The tank is a State tank and is just over 9 years old. I wiped this away a few months ago and now its back. Water temp is fine and no leaks on the floor. Just trying to avoid a small disaster.Name:  IMG_4245.jpg
Views: 1594
Size:  30.3 KB

Old 11-25-14, 12:36 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Remove the valve, clean up the female threads with what looks like tooth brush but has brass or steel bristles, replace the valve with a new one using Teflon pipe dope.

Old 11-25-14, 04:00 PM
C
you don't think its a gonner?

Old 11-25-14, 08:15 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Try a $15.00 10 min. fix, or have to buy a new heater, your choice.

Old 11-26-14, 03:27 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
At nine years of age your water heater, assuming it is a gas model, is right at the point where some 50% of water heaters fail. Regardless of whether or not Joe's fix works you should definitely be planning on a new heater in the not-too-distant future.

Personally, I doubt that it is as simple as leaking threads as that would have shown up long ago. I DO think your heater is a goner but I have been wrong many times in the past and I am sure I will be wrong in the future.

Oh, that is correctly called a safety valve or Pressure & Temperature (P&T) relief valve, not a "blow-off" valve.

Old 11-26-14, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
sometimes the leak is from the top nipples and its just seeping down to the relief valve... Seen it many times... need to check as you may be able to fix...

But as was stated I would just replace if the heater is found to be shot....

Old 12-05-14, 09:35 PM
I
Typically, when a leak shows up at a threaded connections after 9 years, it's because something has started to split/rust/corrode.... Try removing and re-sealing the threaded fitting, but if it leaks again, time for a new heater. Sometimes, you can actually make it worse, so don't be surprised if that happens.

Let us know what the outcome is....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: