Two water heaters both only giving me minimal hot water.

Old 12-03-14, 11:38 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Two water heaters both only giving me minimal hot water.

I have two water heaters. We have a primary one that was working great until I ran out of propane. Now that I have propane I get hot water but not very hot and it doesn't last long. could this be from running out of propane?

I have also have a second one that is electric. We used this one while the primary was waiting for propane. This one also just gives very little hot water. I had to turn to max temp for my wife to be able to take a warm shower. It runs out very quickly. Its only a year or so old so I am not sure what could be the problem.

Old 12-03-14, 11:46 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Welcome to the DIY forum. Please give us some more details such as the gallon size of the water heaters as well as the BTU input of the gas-fired unit and the watt rating of the electric unit. Detail the piping arrangement between the two heaters and if possible post a few pictures. Being a new member it may require the pictures to be approved by a moderator before they will post.

Old 12-18-14, 07:40 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 278 Upvotes on 254 Posts
Did the electric water heater ever work well?

The propane water heater may have suffered a broken dip tube (just inside the cold water inlet). This brings the incoming new, cold, water to the bottom so as not to mix with the hot water being drawn from the tank for usage.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: