No condensate coming from gas water heater

Old 12-03-14, 12:45 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No condensate coming from gas water heater

My gas water heater has a condensate line which used to put out condensation water, although not very much. Now, it puts out nothing at all; not even a drop! Is this a sign of a problem? I've been having some "short-cycling" issues with the burner recently, so I don't know if these 2 things are related.

Is there anything in particular I can do to resolve the "no condensate" problem, assuming it really is a "problem"?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-14, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
The line at the fan assembley where the condensate tube can be clogged. Check to see. A clogged condensate line can fill the vent and partially block the pressure switch.

Additionally when that happens the pressure switch tube that goes to the fan also gets clogged.. This is from rust/sediment... That may be your cycling issues..

Last the condensate line needs a loop to act as a trap. Do you have the loop? If not CO can leak into the home. That is dangerous...

What is the make and model of the water heater???

Old 12-04-14, 01:12 PM
I have the model number in the label photo below. But we've talked before in another thread http://www.doityourself.com/forum/wa...hin-cycle.html and you gave me the service manual which I can try to decipher at home. I'm not on the computer with that file right now.

There is a short black thin hose (several inches long) that connects to 2 parts on the top part of my unit. Is that the line at the fan assembly you are referring to? I've checked that in the past and it doesn't appear to be clogged. Also, the condensate line does have a loop in it.

Name:  Water heater label.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  38.3 KB

Old 12-05-14, 03:29 AM
Can you post more pics of the entire installation please?

Old 12-06-14, 01:36 PM
I have additional photos of it in another thread: Burner keeps going out, then reigniting frequently within cycle

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/wa...#ixzz3L9jRh1jf

Old 12-09-14, 01:11 PM
Some additional information:

I checked the vent by removing the metal bands that hold the vent pipe to the top of the heater. I looked in there and didn't see anything unusual. I couldn't see where the side of the pipe connected to the condensation line because there was a flexible sleeve inside the pipe blocking it and seemed to be unremovable.

I'd also like to mention that I can smell natural gas in my basement after the water heater has been running. It's been that way before, so I always thought it was some kind of "burned gas leftover" smell. It seems pretty strong though. I made sure all the gas fitting are tight, so I don't know if it's coming from a leak. Is it normal to have a gas smell if there is no leak?