New Water Heater Energy Efficiency Standards

Old 12-07-14, 06:32 PM
Received 17 Votes on 12 Posts
New Water Heater Energy Efficiency Standards

No one has brought this issue up yet, but it is a fact that new efficiency standards are coming April 16, 2015. I'd like to hear Mike's (Lawrosa) take on the new standards and what he thinks it will mean to DIYers. My water heater is now 18+ years old and still doing a fine job (knock on wood), but I am thinking I should go ahead and replace it before the 2015 standards take effect. Here is some info from Bradford-White. Is anyone else familiar with the new regulations?

NEW (NAECA) WATER HEATER ENERGY STANDARDS | Bradford White Water Heaters. Built to be the best.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-14, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Yes. It will be a nightmare and cost the consumer lots of $$$$ in the long run.

Watch this then you can ask specific questions if you like..Its too wide spread for me to go into detail for each line item............

I for one cant speak words for the idiot bureaucrats that put this in place...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB3kpNB1Hrg#t=110

Old 12-07-14, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You could always buy one now and keep it stored in the garage Joe.

I actually didn't know anything about this. TY for bringing it up. My WH is original to the house from 1990 (also a BW) and works like a champ.

Old 12-08-14, 08:34 AM
Received 17 Votes on 12 Posts
You could always buy one now and keep it stored in the garage Joe.

I actually didn't know anything about this. TY for bringing it up. My WH is original to the house from 1990 (also a BW) and works like a champ.
I had just heard about this from a plumber and checked the Bradford-White website. I was just looking for opinions on what I should do with my 18 year old Mor-Flo heater. My garage is full, but I am thinking that yes, I should buy a new water heater before the regulations go into effect and the older models are all gone. I can surely find somewhere to store it or go ahead and change it out right away. I need to install a thermal expansion tank at the same time. I know Mike likes AO Smith, but I don't have a good source for them, but I do have a wholesale source for Bradford-White and have one at another house that has never given me any problems. I hope this thread is useful to others who may have a water heater that may be marginal or getting close to it's end of useful life.

Hey Mike, this issue might be good for a sticky.

Old 12-08-14, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Hey Mike, this issue might be good for a sticky.
Yes I am working on it... Going to find permanent info to put on there...

Old 12-08-14, 02:57 PM
Received 17 Votes on 15 Posts
The link below came up in another discussion. Not sure if it adds anything to the reference above or not.
Water Heaters | Energy Efficiency Standards

Bud