Unplug water heaters on vacation

Old 01-05-15, 06:12 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unplug water heaters on vacation

We are going on a 4 week trip, and will be turning off the water. I wanted to know if I should also turn off the electric water heaters. Will they be OK if I don't? There should not be any water flow throughout the house.

Old 01-05-15, 06:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Yes, turn off the water heaters. If you turn off the water and somehow it leaks down, the level of the water could possibly fall in the heater, exposing the elements, causing them to burn up. Definitely turn water heaters off.

Old 01-06-15, 07:55 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you. That is what I thought, but since we hate coming back to cold water, I was hoping for something different. Again, thanks for all you do.

Old 01-06-15, 08:17 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,287 Upvotes on 1,225 Posts
Have a neighbor you trust? Have them come over and turn the water and heater back on a few hours before you expect to get back home.

I turn mine off when I leave but it's gas and I have hot water within a half hour of getting home.

Old 01-06-15, 09:22 AM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
I turn mine off when I leave but it's gas and I have hot water within a half hour of getting home.
Mine is gas too and when I am away for more than just a weekend I'll set mine back to pilot and shut off the water too. It's amazing how warm the water will stay with just the pilot. Almost warm enough for a shower.

Old 01-06-15, 09:52 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,310 Upvotes on 2,055 Posts
When I leave for long periods I turn off the water heaters, turn off the water and bleed out the pressure by opening a upstairs faucet. It saves the energy of keeping water hot when not home and if a pipe bursts or leaks for whatever reason there won't be massive water damage.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: