New gas water heater: T.P.R. valve problem.

Old 01-24-15, 04:02 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New gas water heater: T.P.R. valve problem.

Just purchased a brand new Rheem Performance Plus gas 40 gallon water heater. I installed this myself and got EVERYTHING done with all hard piped copper water lines and hard steel gas line..

Went to screw the pipe onto the Pressure Relief valve and the valve is on a slight angle coming out of the unit and it is this way from the factory because I never touched it from the minute I picked up the unit.

The pipe will not thread into the valve at all because of the angle, the bottom of the pipe hits the water heater.

Can I simpley unscrew the valve, add a coupler and an extension nipple to it and reinsert it into the unit so that it brings the valve slightly away from the unit by maybe 1" or so?? Or will this alter the function of the relief valve?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45455[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 01-24-15, 10:12 PM
G
Update: I decided to remove the unit and return it to the store. They gave me another water heater and all is well. I figured better safe than sorry...

But still for future reference could this valve have been altered/fixed in the way I mentioned in my first post?

Old 01-24-15, 10:12 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
What pipe are you trying to connect to it?
Is the heater sitting in a pan?
Most drain lines for the pop off valve are flexible enough to not make this an issue.
There is no way to add an extension to it.
There is no reason it has to be perfectly vertical.

Old 01-24-15, 10:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,144 Upvotes on 3,722 Posts
No..... the valve cannot be altered but you could have put a threaded copper fitting on the valve and then quickly soldered the pipe in.

Old 01-25-15, 01:27 PM
A
Received 294 Upvotes on 269 Posts
Why was the temperature and pressure valve cockeyed? It is possible that something bumped the water heater at the factory, throwing the T&P valve off center and also deforming the tank at that location and cracking the glass lining inside. This will result in more rapid rusting of the tank at that location. Hence returning the tank is not all that farfetched.

I'm not sure whether you can get a fitting (female thread to male thread of the same size) that offsets the T&P valve just an inch. More than that and the extension (temperature sensor) in the T&P valve may not protrude inside the tank far enough to work correctly.

You could get a fitting (male screw to female solder-on) that screws on the outlet port of the T&P valve as described previously. You would still have to bend the pole, er, pipe that sticks down from there a tad before soldering it on. If you are not careful, the end that you solder on may become deformed also and then soldering it becomes more difficult.

Old 01-26-15, 02:41 PM
G
In reply to joecaption1: I'm not sure what you are talking about as the pipe for the TPR valve is supposed to be copper, which is not flexible at all. And it does have to be vertical in order for the pipe to not rub/hit the water heater which in my case it did due to the valve protruding from the unit on an angle.

to AllanJ: I am assuming that the TPR valve was installed wrong/damaged at the factory or damaged in transit. The angle it was protruding at made it impossible to install a copper drain pipe onto it. I figured if the valve was damaged there was probably internal damage.

I returned the unit at The Home Depot and got a brand new unit with a perfectly straight valve. Everything is now well and done!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: