Multiple plumbing connections leaking

Old 01-24-15, 09:25 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Multiple plumbing connections leaking

Hello,

We are in the process of buying a house and just had it inspected. The inspector noted corrosion from the cold water line coming in and hot water line coming out. Also at multiple copper connections when the hot water line leaves the tank.

After the tank there is a combination of Pex and copper. Around 3 or 4 connections after the tank the copper is corroded. I have attached some pictures for reference.

This house was built in 2005 and the hot water tank was already replaced!! I am a complete novice but this to me doesn't seem right.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Regards,

Attached Images       
Old 01-24-15, 10:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,052 Upvotes on 3,635 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Certainly some repair work needed there.

Water heaters come with all different length warranties. If you have ideal water the hot water heater may outlast the warranty by many years. However, with the corrosion you have there... you may have particularly heavily mineral laden water.

If the mineral content is high then you'll need to keep in mind that the hot water heater tank needs to be flushed at least once a year.

Old 01-25-15, 05:16 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,230 Upvotes on 1,989 Posts
I suspect that the plumber did not have is crimper properly adjusted. You have a percentage leaking that are visible. You also have to assume that about the same percentage of joints in the walls that are not visible might also be leaking.

Old 01-25-15, 09:34 AM
N
Heavy mineral water

Hi PJ,

They do have water softener set up with this system as well. I will assume that this is to combat the mineral water?

Thanks for your reply!

Old 01-25-15, 09:38 AM
N
Hi Pilot Dane,

Thats a good point and a big possibility. There are 4 connections that are visible before it disappears into the wall! Would this mean that worst case scenario they would have to start cutting drywall?

Thanks,

Old 01-25-15, 10:38 AM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
The inspector noted corrosion from the cold water line coming in and hot water line coming out. Also at multiple copper connections when the hot water line leaves the tank.
If you really want that house, have your realtor insert in the purchase contract that all the leaks be repaired by a licensed plumbing contractor.

Would this mean that worst case scenario they would have to start cutting drywall?
Bad plumbing installations are not discriminatory, they will leak inside a wall the same as outside a wall. Maybe you should look at more houses.

Old 01-25-15, 05:03 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,230 Upvotes on 1,989 Posts
The worst case scenario is that you don't know where the crimped fittings are in the walls. PEX can run long distances without fittings but unions and elbows could be almost anywhere in the walls. Unfortunately it looks like the leaks are so slow that they wouldn't show up in the usual 12-24 hour pressure test. I think that leaves you with either re-plumbing or just putting away a contingency fund to handle possible future repairs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: