Gas Hot Water Heater Leaking

Old 02-06-15, 11:12 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas Hot Water Heater Leaking

Yesterday, the water from all my taps got super hot. Today we ran out of hot water very quickly and couldn't get any more hot water from the taps. I went to the basement to check the gas water heater and there was cold water gashing out from under the electronic gas control valve. I shut the water off at the supply line to the water heater and, of course, I now have no water at all. Anyway, has anyone encountered this type of incident before? Is my water heater toast or is it something repairable? Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Old 02-07-15, 04:53 AM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
Is my water heater toast or is it something repairable?
It's hard to say with the little information you provided, but it sounds like the tank may have ruptured which would mean it is toast. What kind of water heater is it and how old is it? Most water heaters have a minimum 6 year tank warranty, but some are warranted for as long as 9 or 12 years.

Old 02-07-15, 04:58 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
In addition to what Joe said, plumbed correctly there should have been a ball valve on the incoming water line just to the heater so the only thing effected when shutting off the valve would be the hot water.

Old 02-07-15, 08:23 PM
M
The only valve I saw was a lever-type valve and it was only for controlling the cold water going into the hot water heater. I was puzzled as to why that would shut water off to every other application in the house, even those that didn't use hot water such as the toilet.

Last edited by Midwestman; 02-07-15 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-07-15, 08:49 PM
M
Yes, it was a ruptured tank. Apparently, the thermostat went bad and began over heating the water in the tank to near boiling. This explains why the hot water was coming out of taps super-hot and also explains why the valve in the hot water faucet of my bathroom sink was cracked. When the malfunctioning thermostat caused the water to be super over heated, the extreme heat caused the tank to rupture. When the tank ruptured the water gushed out from behind the electronic gas valve/thermostat and extinguished the burner. This explains why the water in the shower suddenly turned cold and why there was cold water gushing out of the hot water heater.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: