Old water heater leaking

Old 02-20-15, 02:04 PM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Old water heater leaking

hello, my 20yr.old water is starting to leak from the bottom.i have tankless boiler which makes the hot water.i haven't powered the water heater since the new boiler went in{8yrs]. just storage.what I want to do [till spring]is. by pass the water heater w/ss flex {watts].the water heater is plumbed w/copper flex.which i'll unhook and make the by-pass. any thoughts apprecieated

Old 02-20-15, 07:19 PM
Received 188 Upvotes on 168 Posts
Any time a boiler is mentioned in reference to making domestic hot water my thoughts always go to a separate stand alone tank type water heater. I think it would be much more economical to operate in the warmer months.

Old 02-20-15, 08:00 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
So you have a leaking water heater that's 5 years past the expected life and still want to use it. Hmm.
So what's the question? Where to take it to dispose of it?

Old 02-20-15, 08:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,119 Upvotes on 3,699 Posts
You can certainly bypass the hot water heater but in losing that as a storage tank you may not have much reserve hot water as the tankless coils don't deliver much heated water on demand.

Old 02-21-15, 12:31 PM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanks for the replies.i'll get rid of it and probably replace it.for now while it's so cold,i want to bypass it without upsetting anything else.loc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: