No hot water

Old 04-18-15, 02:20 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No hot water

Ok a day or so ago for some reason we lost water pressure and now I have no hot water. The tank is a GE 120 volt single element. I got voltage at the element and I am reading continuity also. I tried pressing a red looking button but it won't press. What could be the issue? bad T-stat or did the element burn up?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-15, 02:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 29 Posts
If the tank emptied you could have burned out element. However if you get continuity through the element, with all wires disconnected from it, and no continuity to ground, it should be good.

Old 04-18-15, 02:46 PM
Ok it's not continuity but high resistance. I do get continuity on the T-stat between each pair of screws. You got the white wire from the mains going to the connection the tank then going to the element. There is a black wire that goes from the t-stat to the Element. Since I'm getting voltage to the element then the T-stat is good but something wrong with the element? The tank Is a GE MODEL GE20P6E serial 0101244347

Old 04-18-15, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
If you getting 120v to the t stat its pretty certain then the element is bad then... This is a 1- 2000 watt element unit you have...

Change that out and be sure to purge the air out before applying power to the unit...

Old 04-18-15, 03:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 141 Votes on 134 Posts
Turn off the power to the water heater by turning off the breaker. Disconnect the wires connected to the heating element. Then test the heating element for continuity. If there is no continuity the element is probably burned out (bad) and needs to be replaced. Also, if you test for continuity between either heater screw and ground or the heater's body/hex and get continuity the element is bad.

The heating element has a wire through the center that gets hot when current flows through it. This wire is connected at either end to the two screws you see outside the heater. The heating element can fail two ways. The inner wire can burn out or break. It can also fail if the insulating material fails and allows the inner heating wire to touch the outer metal body of the heater causing it to short.

Old 04-18-15, 10:17 PM
I can't find any info on this model. Are heating elements interchangeable as long as you get the right wattage?

Old 04-19-15, 11:52 AM
Received 17 Votes on 12 Posts
I can't find any info on this model. Are heating elements interchangeable as long as you get the right wattage?
You must match wattage, voltage, mounting method and length of the new element to the old one. Mounting method is screw-in or bolt-in, but I haven't seen a bolt-in element in many years, your's probably screws in. The length is important so the new element will fit entirely into the tank without touching the other side.

Old 04-19-15, 08:06 PM
The element is 2000 watt 120 volt screw in. I have a appliance repair with the gas company who came out and said they needed parts and will be back monday.

Old 04-24-15, 07:30 PM
Received 17 Votes on 12 Posts
Have they been back yet? ............