Electric water heater leaks at hot outlet

Old 06-13-15, 11:09 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Electric water heater leaks at hot outlet

Hi I have an electric water heater at the hot outlet there is a large bolt on the tank, a ribbed copper pipe is somehow connected to that and it is leaking.
Above that bolt is a label that says this nipple must not be rotated and MUST remain in the position with the indication mark at the top
Can anyone shed a little light on this for me ? What does it mean by the "nipple" ?
There is some black rubber around that connection where the ribbed copper pipe meets the bolt on the tank, it looks like it was put there as some kind of fix for the leak, but I am not entirely sure it was not a part of the original connector.
I guess I need to remove the pipe from the tank in order to fix the leak properly but the warning label about the nipple concerns me especially as I don't know what it means.
Is it some kind of special connector and how should I remove it ?

Old 06-13-15, 11:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,975 Upvotes on 3,568 Posts
Can you take a picture and post it for us ? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rt-images.html

Old 06-16-15, 09:37 AM
S
Sure, here is a picture it leaks where the ribbed pipe meets the big bolt. You can see black rubber around the area that leaks.

Name:  DSC03153copy.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  27.0 KB

Old 06-16-15, 10:26 AM
A
Received 279 Upvotes on 255 Posts
A nipple is a short length of pipe that is usually threaded at both ends.

Most likely that connection has an extension pipe on the inside that is angled up to draw water from as high up as possible. If you rotated the nipple with a wrench the extension may point down and start picking up cooler water sooner than it should if you are taking a long shower.

Could you remove the corrugated pipe if you disconnected the other end but did not touch the hex nipple right up against the tank?

Old 06-17-15, 07:36 AM
S
Yes the other end of the corrugated pipe is just a pex connection, so if I remove the pex end do I then undo the grey bolt on the tank to remove it from the tank side ?

Old 06-17-15, 07:58 AM
A
Received 279 Upvotes on 255 Posts
It's going to be hit or miss and chancy.

Do not turn the thing with the indicator mark that the label above says do not turn.

But if the exposed gray hex thing is a separate piece with threads inside, it is still possible that it is rusted on so fast that turning it makes a thing concentrically inside it (nipple? with threads on the outside) turn also when the latter was not supposed to turn. hence the hit or miss chance of messing something up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: