Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Water Heaters
Reload this Page >

Are there any big worries when switching from gas to electric water heater?

Are there any big worries when switching from gas to electric water heater?

Old 07-10-15, 11:28 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Are there any big worries when switching from gas to electric water heater?

Sorry for such a vague question.

I have a gas water heater in my crawlspace. I hate it.
I want to put an electric one inside, other side of some cinder block where my washer and dryer reside. It is about five feet between the dirt crawlspace and the other side of the cement floor.

Other than turning the gas off and having it capped (or whatever I am supposed to do, can I just change the piping and things not somehow blow up? For the sake of the post, I know you don't know me or my capabilities. Let's just say I am capable of doing it with shark bites and copper piping from HD or Lowe's. I have done minor plumbing, shark bite type. I am not afraid to use the blow torch, if I have to. I don't know about "balancing" the pipes, water, etc., or if there is such a thing. I don't want to cause more problems.

Thanks for any help.

Old 07-10-15, 06:51 PM
Received 189 Upvotes on 169 Posts
Not knowing your skill level I cannot comment on your capabilities. My biggest concern would be the increase in the energy bills. Electric water heaters cost substantially more to operate than natural gas water heaters.

Old 07-12-15, 07:06 AM
Received 729 Upvotes on 644 Posts
In addition to Joe's comments you need to know if your electric service is capable . What kind of service do you have (amp rating and wire size).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: