can a malfunctioning water heater drive up electric bill?

Old 08-20-15, 11:44 AM
L
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
well if its really 6 per day, then her neighbor is gonna blow up the new car she just got and bomb her apt lol. because less than 200 per month is a tad different than the neighbors..here will be the neighbors new usage

Attached Images  
Old 08-20-15, 11:50 AM
L
I just estimated her next bill based on her last bill.. 753 kwh at 117 bucks is about 15.5 cents....gonna work out to be 200 kwh for 31 bucks a month for this month

Old 08-20-15, 02:59 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
The readings are definitely 87503 and 87492 for a difference of 11 kilowatt hours of usage. When reading these meters you always read the number the hand has passed, even if it appears to be exactly on the next higher number.

Six kWh per day is a bit low but it could be a true reading if your friend has a gas water heater, gas space heating and gas cooking appliances along with a gas clothes dryer or no clothes dryer at all. I live alone, albeit in a house rather than an apartment, and my daily consumption averages between 9 and 12 kWh per day over a 60 day billing period. I DO have a gas water heater and gas space heating but all other appliances are electric.

Old 08-20-15, 04:26 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 287 Upvotes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by luckydriver
... well if its really 6 per day, then her neighbor is gonna blow up the new car she just got and bomb her apt lol.
Whose car? Your friend's or your friend's neighbor's?
Whose apartment? Your friend's or your friend's neighbor's?

Old 08-20-15, 08:53 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
This isn't much help, but there's something going horribly wrong here and someone should figure it out. Maybe the power company can void both bills and start over, not likely to happen but they messed up.
I can't see 3,832 kWh per month or even 2,817 in an apartment. Maybe a mansion, or growing illegal plants.

Old 08-21-15, 06:52 AM
L
I actually don't know for sure what water heater she has. just assumed electric and the basement is locked so we have no idea. stove doesn't matter, she doesn't cook (her words not mine). has electric baseboard and cube heaters. biggest user of juice is her apt is the fridge.

the downstairs neighbor HAS to know running her crap as much as she does is more than a 30 dollar bill. I mean, who wouldn't think something is up when your bill is really that cheap but you are using cpap machine and I think window AC units and stuff like that. and yea, maybe a winter growing operation . or she just keeps heat on 80 all winter? my friend is very very careful even in winter. I hope they give her access to her real past bills!

my friend just got a 2013 car after her aged car was so badly rusted it just wont pass inspection so I was joking that the neighbor will probably see the new car and figure now that my friend only has 30 vs 150 a month, she can afford the car. you just never know how jelaous some people are these days.

and I do regret not asking the power company if they will make the woman pay all that other money back.

Old 08-21-15, 07:31 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
If the power co is going to credit one they surely will bill the other, IMO. As for liability, it doesn't fall on the pc, but on the electrician that assigned the meters and perhaps the landlord if there have been complaints he did not respond to.

I agree with Handyone in that her use is unusually high. It may be a case she has never been motivated to conserve as the bill never went up with added consumption, like those cube heaters. But her off peak is still averaging 600 to 700 kw with the big numbers coming during the heating season.

cpap and a frig really don't use what her baseline is showing. It may sound stupid, but she may have both heat and ac going for some crazy reason. One of the excess electric bill homes I helped had electric baseboard going 24/7.

Another thought, I assume this is a duplex, but I haven't heard about a third meter, the landlord's. Usually there is at least outside lighting, but sometimes they have heat tapes or pumps related to the building and sometimes those just get connected to one of the tenant's meters.

Bud

Old 08-21-15, 08:37 AM
L
to be frank im pretty sure my friend doesn't care about the usage stats that I posted above as its the old ladys..whatever she has that runs 2000 to 3000 per month is not her concern..but I admit i'm curious. and if neighbor has heat and AC going on at the same time well that's just crazy.

I cannot wait to get the REAL usage for my friends meter and I hope historical is on the website someday. I bet in summer it is 30 bucks a month I hope....

we also do know when my friend killed her breakers that the other womans porch lite stayed on as she left it on during the day. so she's not paying for the light at least.

Old 08-21-15, 04:33 PM
F
An electric water heater is probably the largest user of electricity in a home not heated by electricity. The refrigerator is usually the second largest user and then an electric range, assuming it is used on a regular basis. I don't use my range oven much, I think the cake I baked the other night was the first time I used it since maybe last October. I DO use my counter-top convection oven several times a week and I do use the top burners on the range on a regular basis.

Lucky, every apartment that I have seen that had an individual water heater had that heater located somewhere in the apartment. Some were in a clothes closet while others were under a kitchen or bathroom cabinet. The fact that your friend's water heater is located in a central area where she does NOT have access leads me to believe that she is not paying for heating water. I could be wrong about this.

I had a friend (long since gone to his reward) that lived in a third-floor walk-up apartment in a building built in 1936. It had central heat (Roger had no thermostat and regulated his heat by opening or closing a window) and the hot water was also supplied. He never really cooked but would once a day heat up a "TV dinner" (that's what he called it) or rarely, broil a steak. He did not own a microwave oven and in fact didn't even know how to use one until the last couple of years of his life when he went to work at a place that had one in their lunch area. He probably only rarely had more than one light on although he did watch a goodly amount of TV while home. No laundry facilities either. I mention all of this because Roger would tell me that his electricity bill was always the minimum charge (although he may have been lying about the always) so it IS possible that someone could have an average daily consumption of around 3-6 kWh. but you would have to live VERY frugally to achieve such.

I worked with a man that WAS very frugal, or perhaps just downright cheap would be a better way of putting it. This man lived in an apartment sandwiched on each side as well as top and bottom. He turned the water heater OFF. He had the thermostat set at about 62 degrees and he did the majority of his cooking, as well as his bathing, at work. I don't think he had anything bigger than a 40 watt light bulb in his place. (This was before LED and CFL bulbs.) I have no doubt at all that he really did get minimum billing for his electrical consumption. I certainly could not live like that I really don't know how anyone else could either.

Old 10-27-15, 09:58 AM
L
on her online account now

Attached Images  
Old 10-27-15, 11:48 AM
F
531 days into the current billing cycle? Just how long IS the billing cycle? 531 days is almost a year and a half.

Time to get the governmental consumer protection people involved. A call to the local television station news department won't hurt either.

Old 10-28-15, 09:35 AM
L
I think they are having fun sorting through 2 years of bills on 2 accounts. to me I don't see why it would take so long. figure 1st floor bill is X and 2nd floor bill is Y.

then give 2nd floor credit for the diff and make 1st floor pay the diff. but it must be more complicated than that

Old 11-02-15, 10:43 AM
L
if her online account is correct it will be a credit of over 3000 bucks. hopefully they send a check soon

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: