Gas Control/Thermostat indicator light not turning on

Old 07-25-15, 07:43 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post Gas Control/Thermostat indicator light not turning on

Hi,

I woke up this morning to fine my hot water was only warm and wouldn't get hot. I went into the basement to check to see if the temperature had been adjusted and to my surprise the temperature indicator lights wouldn't turn on so I am unable to see any error codes

I tested the plug and the power (hot) wire to the tank and power seems to be on and feed to the blower and the gas control (White-Rodgers model according the the manual).

Could the gas control need to be replaced?

Tank: GSW (John Wood) Superflue
Model: 8G50NVH-ES2

Name:  20150725_091757_resized.jpg
Views: 9692
Size:  28.2 KBName:  20150725_091739_resized.jpg
Views: 5513
Size:  22.0 KBName:  20150725_091645_resized.jpg
Views: 5672
Size:  35.8 KB

Thanks,
Arnold

Old 07-25-15, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Welcome to the forums.....

I can probably help troubleshoot but IMO its best to call JW for warranty service.

Parts are covered 6 years but you pay labor.. That gas valve it about $225..

Check warranty here then get warranty reference # and call a local contractor that is a JW rep..

Warranty Validation

Probably best to call IMO..

Products

Looks like JW is made by AO smith.. Thats a good thing IMO..

Probably a loose connection/bad wire harness. The harnes that goes into the heaters fail..

Did you cycle the heater on and off?

Did you push the left/right buttons on the heater ? These activate the lights.. But after cycling they should all light up as a test....

Old 07-25-15, 10:57 AM
K
Thanks for the reply. I will give them a call but I have never had good experience dealing with companies regarding warranty.

I tried adjusting the temperature by holding both bottom at the same time as I have in the pass but not a single indicator light turned on this time.
I disconnect the power plug from the receptacle and plugged it back 15 minutes later but nothing. I checked to see if there was power with my volt meter and the blower and gas control seem to be getting power. I also checked all the connection I could see but that did not seem to make any difference.

Thanks,
Arnold

Old 07-25-15, 11:04 AM
K
According to the warranty website the gas control (tried Igniter/White Rodgers and Gas Control WR Intel FV NG 160) are no longer covered. There's only a two years warranty on parts and 8 years the tanks.

Thanks,
Arnold

Old 07-25-15, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator
According to the warranty website the gas control (tried Igniter/White Rodgers and Gas Control WR Intel FV NG 160) are no longer covered. There's only a two years warranty on parts and 8 years the tanks.
Nonsense... where did you read that???

All water heaters have a 6 year tank and parts warranty. 1 year labor.. Minimum...

Unless in a commercial environment...

Call them !!!

Old 07-25-15, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator
whats your SN # of heater. It has warranty code. Page 38 here..

http://www.johnwoodwaterheaters.com/...322152-001.pdf

What strikes me as a suprise is they now offer a 8 year tank warranty standard, and 6 year parts.... WOW!!!!!

Old 07-26-15, 06:27 PM
K
Hi Lawrosa

My serial number for my tank is U1225F701765. When I enter my serial number on the John Wood warraty validation website it tales me my tank is still on warranty but the Gas valve control has expired (see picture below).

I obtained the warranty information in my installation instruction manual which came with my tank (see second picture below) show "8 year tank, 2 year parts warranty". I appears I have an older installation instruction manual (Part No. 319594-000 Rev. 01 (10-11) versus the one online which is Part No. 322152-001 (13-05) ). I suspect the warranty has changed since I bought my tank. I was advised my a gas tech that these gas valve control are known to have issues with them which is why they dropped the price on the part. It could be the reason why they have extended the warranty.

I plan on giving them a call tomorrow morning since they were closed for the weekend.

Name:  expire.jpg
Views: 4783
Size:  31.3 KBName:  20150726_205949_resized.jpg
Views: 4602
Size:  17.5 KBName:  20150726_210958_resized.jpg
Views: 4649
Size:  29.3 KB

Thanks,
Arnold

Old 07-26-15, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator
Those gas valves are pretty good.. Not too many issues with valve itself, usually other things..

I would like you to call and find out your actual warranty.. I am very surprised if its really 2 years on the gas valve..

If so I will call my buddy at AO smith and asked if there was a change..

I would argue the point as you have a U in the s/n..

Please let us know.. This is important information to me and possibly others..

Old 07-27-15, 06:54 AM
K
I contact John Wood and I was advised that my tank was sold to the company who did the initial installation as a rental tank which only carries a 1 year on parts and 8 year on the tank. I pointed out to them that their website shows parts at 6 year and my manual as 2 year. They pointed out to me that warranty for the parts can vary depending on the year the tank was manufactured, if it's a rental or where you purchased the tank (they told me Lowes had a 12 year warranty on the tank if purchase from there).
It seem like rentals only get 1 year on parts regardless on the year of the tank, 2 years on parts for tanks that were purchased two years ago and current purchased tanks have the 6 years part warranty.

I argued that their warranty system seem like a scam since depending a bunch of variable, which the owner isn't likely going to be aware of, the tank would get a different warranty for the same product. They finally agreed that they would cover the cost of the part since it was close to the 2 year warranty on parts that my manual shows but they asked that I send a copy of the page showing those number.

We will see if I get reimbursed for the part once I submit everything to them.

Arnold

Old 07-27-15, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator
Sounds good.. Are they shipping you the part?

It may or may not be the gas valve itself.. As I stated the wire harness from fan assembly ,that then runs inside the heater jacket, then back out the bottom to the gas valve often go bad.

Keep us updated then..

If they are honoring the warranty then you can pay labor to a local JW rep and they will troubleshoot for you..

Here is the gas valve handbook to troubleshoot yourself..

Intellivent....

http://www.hotwater.com/lit/training/320988-000.pdf

Old 07-27-15, 08:58 AM
K
John Wood (AO Smith) gave me a few places from which I can order the part since thy require a license tech to sell that part. I have a friend who knows a gas tech who is going to come by today and confirm that it is the gas value control.

I checked the wire harness which goes inside the tank and it had power (hot) from the blower all the way to the gas valve control which is why I suspect it's the gas valve control that's defective. The tech support at John Wood also stated it's likely that.

I will look at that handbook and see if I can find something other than the gas control that could be causing the issue. My issue is that I can't see any error code because there are no light (LED Status) on the gas control that work.

Arnold

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: