Pilot light won't stay lit

Old 08-21-15, 07:35 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pilot light won't stay lit

I know this is the oldest subject in the book but I couldn't find any answers with a search.

I have a 10 year old Whirlpool 30 gallon natural gas water heater. The pilot light wouldn't stay lit, I changed the thermocouple and wham, it fired up.

The next morning, nothing, I follow all the steps and when I let go of the button the pilot goes out. I pulled the burner out and checked that the thermocouple was in proper placement, it is, I put it back in, light the pilot and it goes out the second I let the button up.

The only think it could be now is the control valve right?

Brian

Old 08-21-15, 08:32 AM
Welcome.

Probably is the control valve considering you changed out the thermocouple.

At 10 years old, I would recommend you get a new water heater rather than a valve.

You can also check for any rebates available from the gas company. The new heater will be more efficient.

Old 08-21-15, 10:04 AM
M
Thank you so much for your time. Yeah I ended the work on the project last night looking at replacing the whole thing. But it's not an easy one to change and this weekend I have something pressing so am thinking just replacing the valve and getting on with life. The inside doesn't have much calcium build up but there is some so that was a thought. The metal looks remarkably clean. I am going to spend a bit of time tonight seeing if I can clean it up any and go from there.

I did just find he correct valve right near me for $59 so it may be worth the try.

Thanks again, Brian

Old 08-22-15, 01:41 PM
M
The new control valve worked! Thanks so much!

Brian

Old 08-23-15, 07:15 AM
M
And the beat goes on..

The next morning after changing the valve the pilot was out again. Exactly as it was after I replaced the thermocouple. After much work checking it and looking over everything over and over while the burning was out I noticed that the vent on the bottom under the burner was covered in lint. I cleaned out the lint and re-installed it all and it fired up and stayed on!

It looks like the dirty vent was all that was wrong!

Brian

Old 08-23-15, 07:22 AM
Well, I learned something here too. Thanks for the update.

If you have time during the week, call the gas company and have them check it out for safety. They won't fix it, but I think it would be prudent. The service is free of charge.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: